• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

broken dome light cover

24vtom

CEG'er
why is that cover that holds the dome light and the sunroof button my sho crapy. when i first got the car 5 months ago, the two rear tabs had broken off of it and was held on by ducktape, and now one of the front tabs is broken... why is this and what do i do??

Mine broke as well. At first I was going to plastic weld it, just take my soldering iron and melt the plastic together, but that piece is under a lot of stress once everything is screwed down and clipped in. So, I took a paper clip and bent it so it looped around the screwhole, then looped it over the top of the plastic piece (this makes more sense with a picture, so I will put up a picture later), so that way when I screwed it down, the paper clip pulled on the whole piece and not just the tabs. If it breaks again I'm going to plastic weld it be adding extra plastic and melting it on. :laugh:

I can tell you that they are like $38 at the Ford dealership. You might contact Bill Jenkins and see if he can get you one.

Sorry it's kind of a crappy pic...but I used just a small strip of duct tape to hold the tab on, then used the paper clip and looped it around the screw and screwed it in. If it ever breaks again I'm going to plastic weld AND use the paper clip. It has held for a few months now without a single problem.

0819082120.jpg

Back