• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Steering wheel removal

OldSkool Member

New CEG'er
Does anybody know exactly what type of screws are used to hold the airbad onto the steering wheel? I need to take my wheel off to make it straight, I dropped my subframe the other day and when I put it back together I thought the wheel was lined up but obviously not.

It has nothing to do with the steering wheel. If you did work with the subframe, suspension, etc. than that's where the problem is. Don't rotate the steering wheel. :blackeye:

to drop the subframe you need to disconnect the steering linkage, as I recall it can only be connected two ways ...

to drop the subframe you need to disconnect the steering linkage, as I recall it can only be connected two ways ...

I played around with mine for a long long time when I had this same issue. IIRC, it only connects one way.

Mine turned out to be the tie rods, nothing in the steering wheel.

I played around with mine for a long long time when I had this same issue. IIRC, it only connects one way.

Mine turned out to be the tie rods, nothing in the steering wheel.

well in that case it sounds like an alignment is need then ...how bad is the wheel off? I might try disconnecting the steering and make sure the rack in centered as well as the wheel ...

it's upside down, not just slightly crooked. It disconnected at the coupler under neath the dash and I guess the wheel rotated all the way around at one point. Why would I not just be able to un-bolt the steering wheel, take it off the spline and put it back on straight?

it's upside down, not just slightly crooked. It disconnected at the coupler under neath the dash and I guess the wheel rotated all the way around at one point. Why would I not just be able to un-bolt the steering wheel, take it off the spline and put it back on straight?

Since you dropped the subframe, that means you disconnected the steering column from the rack in order to lower the subframe. When you connected it back up, the steering wheel was rotated a full turn. Disconnect it again and rotate back. It is not the steering wheel itself but the steering column.

that means dropping the entire subframe, which I am not at all interested in doing as the car is completely together.

The car drives fine with it the way it is, it steers all the way both ways, I simply want the steering wheel straight.

I appreciate the input, but I refuse to believe I have to drop the entire subframe or steering rack to get my wheel straight.

No, I didn't say to drop the subframe again. Disconnect the steering column at the bottom. Put your ignition to ON position to release the steering lock, rotate back to straight and reconnect the column again.

It's like 5 min deal.

No, I didn't say to drop the subframe again. Disconnect the steering column at the bottom. Put your ignition to ON position to release the steering lock, rotate back to straight and reconnect the column again.

It's like 5 min deal.

K, this sounds much better, now where exactly is this connection that I can disconnect to turn the wheel around? When I dropped the subframe it came apart at the splined coupler.

Inside the car, follow the steering column right down to the floor. At the very bottom, there is a rubber boot. Just above that boot is where it connects. It only has one bolt. Unbolt it and there is a piece of metal that rotates to allow the column to seperate from the rack. Wiggle the column free and turn the steering wheel side to side to help.

I agree that you don't want to mess with the steering wheel.

To answer your question though, it takes a torx 30 to remove the air bag to get access. A long bit is preferred. Make sure that you disconect the battery for at least five minutes so you don't accidently set off the air bag in your face.

The steering wheel isn't splined. It is a hex. You can only turn it in 1/6 increments. I don't remember the bolt size. You do not need a wheel puller. Once the bolt is out, the wheel comes right off.

Again, I recommend you correct the problem you created when you disconnected the steering, not try to work around it.

Back