• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front brakes both seized up on highway

CSVT985

CEG'er
Well I was driving TX-360 Northbound yesterday and my car had been acting quite weird the previous week. When I hit my brakes the car would pull to the left. I was just thinking I had a brake dragging or something and was going to look at it over thanksgiving.

Well some retard in a old Toyota Camry tried to merge at 20 mph and I hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting him (the left lane was blocked by 2 semis)

After I released the brakes the car kept braking!

I tried to accelerate but they were locked down. I had to keep it floored to get the car moving and pulled off the side of the road.

Long story short I had to bleed my front 2 brake lines to release whatever pressure was in there and then take backroads all the way home using only my E-brake to stop me.

Symptoms:

Front 2 brakes will completely seize up if the brakes are applied
Brake peddle is completely hard, and will not move (as if the brakes are full applied)
Rear wheels will hand spin freely
Front wheels will not

Tried to bleed the system dry but I got almost nothing out of it and the resevoir is still full

A mechanic I trust told me it sounds like a "proportioning valve". If this were to get clogged it and the opposite brake would freeze up. He told me what it looks like but I cannot find it!

Any thoughts? Where is it!?

Thank you.

Well SVT's have 4 wheel ABS so there is not a separate proportioning valve. You could have bad hoses or calipers.

Start by applying the brakes so the fronts will lock, then crack the bleeder on one of the calipers, if it frees up there is a restriction in the line somewhere. Do the same starting with applying the brakes on the other side. If opening the bleeders dosen't change anything its prob the calipers.

Next thing to check would be the hoses, to do this apply the brakes so they lock again, then crack open the line where the rubber brake hose meets the steel chassis line, if this dosen't release the brake pressure then your problem is the hose. If it dose release the pressure then your prob is higher up.

Hope this helps.

UPDATE:

My SVT Contour has been in the shop for a week now with brakes issues. They just now got back to me stating it is the ABS control module. I mean the entire thing just went bad (pump, computer...everything). The shop said they called Ford and it is $1400 for the part. $1400!!!!

Is there any way around this? Is there a recall on this part? Does anyone have one that I can buy from them?

Do the 98 non-svts modules work for this (so I can get it from a junk yard)

EDIT: I found this online...looks like V6 MTX ABS is the same as the SVT

SVT:
ABS Ford 4-channel/4-sensor system, modulates and adjusts each of the four calipers every 10 milliseconds

V6 MTX SE:
same

Can anyone confirm this? Thank you.

I cant afford $1400 and if I cant get this part cheap I have to sell my car.

Please help.

Last edited:
Back