• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

96 SE CV Joint, fix or give it up?

96SEBlack

CEG'er
My 96 SE 2.5L, 5spd manual with 193K now needs a passenger side CV joint. It vibrates pretty bad...I'm afraid to drive it right now.

Other problems:
leaks oil
driver's seat won't move forward or back (bad motor)
AC doesn't work (bad compressor or leaks??)
radio crackles, works sometimes
front passenger window regulator needs replaced
CEL on (needs o2 sensors and dpfe sensor at least)
passenger power mirror won't move
cracked front bumper cover
driver's side door dent
broken cupholder
window tint peeling/wrinkled
probably needs plugs, wires and battery
(has 2 brand new tires and 2 with 80% tread at least though)

Is the CV joint a do-it-yourself job? If not how much to have it done? From what I've read it sounds like you need special tools and a good place to work on it.

Would you replace the CV joint or have it done and what else needs replaced while doing this?
OR would you sell it outright, part it out or sell it to a salvage yard?

Thanks for any and all opinions!

The CV joint can certainly be done yourself, especially if you are replacing the entire joint and not just the boot around it, etc.

Follow the how-to for the "wheel bearing" removal (duratec maintenance, "read -first" thread..) and from there, removal of the CV is only a couple more steps..

Check out that how-to for a list of some of the more commonly used tools to get the hub off, etc.

The CV joint can certainly be done yourself, especially if you are replacing the entire joint and not just the boot around it, etc.

Follow the how-to for the "wheel bearing" removal (duratec maintenance, "read -first" thread..) and from there, removal of the CV is only a couple more steps..

Check out that how-to for a list of some of the more commonly used tools to get the hub off, etc.

the passenger side really is the easier side to fix, and as far as oil leaks go, the only places the oil really can be leaking from is valve covers or oil pan... which either is a fairly easy fix. While you are at it you can do a tranny fluid drain and fill (royal purple makes these tannies smoother then butter).

Most of your issues are small ones, like your driver seat... If you live anywhere near a junk yard, make a trip to one, I dont know where you live... but in michigan, I find pre98 power seats both leather and cloth in both colors every time I visit a junk yard around here... and you can get a seat for like $30 from a junk yard. Plugs and wires are $80 (for good ones). 02's can be bought for about $50 each, sometimes just cleaning them fixes the issue too, search google for o2 sensor cleaning how-to. DPFE sensor is like $25 brand new. Rip your window tint off, Problem solved $0. And a black front bumper cover, again salvage yard, I bet you can find one in the right color too for dirt cheap.

Just make a grocery list of the parts you need, go to a junk yard and start yanking, reserve a day right to car care and do everything in one day, you will be happy, I promise.

I also suggest rockauto.com for any new car parts you want to buy, if you arent on a strict schedule, order your parts here and have them shipped to you, its really cheap, and you get good parts.

fixing this car and driving it longer is less expensive then buying a new car (unless you buy another under 4 grand car, which potentially could have the exact same problems you are having now.

Just put in the whole axel assembly

Just put in the whole axel assembly

Given the hassle and cost of replacing only a cv joint, go to the local auto parts store and buy a remanufactured half shaft assembly. Contains both cv joints and the $10 nut you gotta have for less than $20 more than just one cv joint. Given that it is passenger side it will be easy to do with no fluid loss as that half shaft goes into an intermediate shaft.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have it fixed or maybe dive in and fix it myself. From what I've learned here it sounds like something I can do...she will live to see another day.

Back