• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A/C wooes

z06killinsbf

CEG'er
A little history: I bought my 98' CSVT about 3 months ago. The prev owner said the compressor needed changing since the a/c didn't work (and hadn't for a few years). I did some troubleshooting and sure enough the compressor was bad. I replaced the compressor with a reman on Saturday, got it charged and tested that day. It worked like a champ for two solid days. I got in it early Tuesday morning and it had stopped working. Today I tried filling it up with alittle leak tester to see where it was leaking. You can hear it pissing the pressure out (somewhere in the vicinity of the compressor) but there is no oil nor leak detector anywhere. I thought I had maybe installed the hose block incorrectly but when I undid it, the bright green oil was then and only then visible. I sealed it back up, torqued to spec and tried refilling. Still the out rush of pressure can be heard. AM I missing something or did I do something incorrectly? I needs me some a/c as it is 100 deg outside with probably 60% humidity, it HOT.

did you replace the o-rings when you changed the compressor? if so where the ac o-rings?

also when it was first filled who/how was it done?

O-rings were there. A local shop did the charge on it. I'm getting a new compressor and dryer (again) so as to make sure the others were not the culprit. The guy @ the parts store said the reason it would be doing what it is doing would be because it wasn't oiled. I thought that is what the shop does when they charge it, send some oil through the lines. Oh well, more expensive stuff to do.

I would think that a shop would add the needed oil in the system. but that doesn't make sense as to why it would leak if there wasn't enough oil in the system.

you might want to go back to the shop and ask them about it.

Something to do with a relief inside. I'm not really sure what he was saying because the whole time he was giving me this attitude like I didn't know what I was talking about.

Back