• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior Improvements

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
Since I've gotten more adapted to my Contour, I was wondering what improvements people have made to that little slotted "holder" in the front of the center console. See beyondloadedSE's first pic in this thread: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=34695. It's not deep enough to hold a CD case, which will fall over on acceleration unless you have a Coke bottle there to hold it up. It looks like a good place for some gauges, which may come later. It might hold 1 or 2 pens, but that seems like a waste.

What improvements have people made in this seemingly useless holder tray slot? Got any good pics or ideas? Can it be cut out and a tape storage bin installed behind it? mp3 player holder? Cut out and some CD trays inserted?

I'm looking for ideas or suggestions?

Since I've gotten more adapted to my Contour, I was wondering what improvements people have made to that little slotted "holder" in the front of the center console. See beyondloadedSE's first pic in this thread: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=34695. It's not deep enough to hold a CD case, which will fall over on acceleration unless you have a Coke bottle there to hold it up. It looks like a good place for some gauges, which may come later. It might hold 1 or 2 pens, but that seems like a waste.

What improvements have people made in this seemingly useless holder tray slot? Got any good pics or ideas? Can it be cut out and a tape storage bin installed behind it? mp3 player holder? Cut out and some CD trays inserted?

I'm looking for ideas or suggestions?

I keep coins there. Some have put switches there. Gauges would be a little hard to read IMO.

Wouldn't coins slide/roll side to side under turning? I keep my coins up in the lil' bin by the vents at the top right of the dash. Yea, gauges would be hard to see as the angle is all fubar, but that could be corrected.

It's kind of a catchall for me. I tend to keep my gas receipts and stuff there. With the upgraded cup holder insert, it can actually hold a decent amount of stuff.

if you want to put gauges there go pre98 center console ...

DSC04512.JPG

i've had a pen there for as long as i know. i think thats what its for :shrug:

I have taken my console off thinking the same thing, what could I use this space for, but I don't think there is too much you could. I wanted to add a few extra cig lighters but I had a space issue as well as concern for shorts/grounding problems as a brackets would have to get cut. My reasons to leave it alone,

1.The vent system is right there to go to the floor and the rear.
2.Right behind that part of the console is a bracket that holds that section in place.

I have to agree with BrApple that your best bet is a pre-98 console for gauges, CDs, well, I may suggest buying a book or one of the visor thingys. If you are ready to fabricate it go for it, but I highly suggest getting another piece to try it with so incase it doesn't work, nobody will know.

Wouldn't coins slide/roll side to side under turning? I keep my coins up in the lil' bin by the vents at the top right of the dash. Yea, gauges would be hard to see as the angle is all fubar, buthat could be corrected.

I keep it fully stocked with coins for tolls/etc. They fit fairly perfectly there if you do so.

With the upgraded cup holder insert, it can actually hold a decent amount of stuff.
Bingo.
The previous owner gave me a plastic case to put the head unit faceplate into. The case fits the slot perfectly with the upgraded cupholder.

I used to keep sunglasses in the spot on the old Contour.
As for coins, I used to use an Altoids tin under the e-brake. It fit perfect and didn't slide around. I lost my old tin (it was 8 years old and rusty anyway) and have yet to buy Altoids again, but when I do I'll have that tin in my SVT.

altoids.jpg

Can't change a CD while driving in 1-3-5 gears :blackeye: unless your shifter is cut short enough.

there is enough room there. I had it with my stock shifter in my 97 and i could change CDs just fine. :shrug:

was going to say it shouldn't be a problem but I havn't tried it yet .... I just use my Ipod and control it with the headunit ....

With my B&M, Pre-98 console, and radio in the lower DIN, the CD's cleared just fine. Now with my Ford Racing shifter, it's a little tight if I'm in 1-3-5.

I keep the wire in mine that plugs from my phone (phone = mp3 player) into the front of my pioneer h/u, when I am not using it. Also, sometimes my Zippo.

well if you have a Ipod hooked up to your stereo you can run the wire so that the ipod can sit in there, that's what 99Mystique ATX does on his SVT, and with the updated cup holders you cant even see a ipod nano... but for me i put my extra knife in there.. or pens..

I actually took the cupholders out of them (they were broken) and store my cell phone in it haha.

well if you have a Ipod hooked up to your stereo you can run the wire so that the ipod can sit in there, that's what 99Mystique ATX does on his SVT, and with the updated cup holders you cant even see a ipod nano... but for me i put my extra knife in there.. or pens..

Yea, I've got the wire run right out back there and its plugged into my 8gb nano... One of the older rectangular ones, not the new square ones. It blends in nicely. But, then you can't use that spot for sunglasses. :(

I'm thinking of moving the ipod into the glove box. It tends to get toasty sitting there when the heat's on.

Now, what I really need to do is install the Pre-98 console that's been sitting in my garage for the last 8 months. Then i'll just drill a hole in the storage spot and have the ipod sit in there. With the tinted windows I think a black ipod will blend in fairly well sitting in the back of that...

Back