• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2000 Contour Fuel Pump Replacement

Jerald

Be Gentle I'm New Here
My fuel pump went out, and am now replacing it using the instructions that I found on this forum. One thing I haven't found mentioned here, is that the fuel pump that I just purchased from Ford is designed a little different from the old one. The old one is exactly as described in this forum, but the new one attaches different. Instead of it fitting down into the lock ring in the bottom of the tank, the new pump is hard attached to the top access plate. The bottom of the pump has 4 rubber pads that is to rest on the bottom of the tank. If anyone is familar with this change in design, my question is, do you have to remove the old lock ring in the bottom of the tank to install this new pump? That lock ring is attached to the bottom of the tank with 4 molded tabs that would have to be cut off to get the ring out. The enclosed installation instructions with the new pump says Ford has a special tool to cut off these tabs and remove this ring. Is this necessary to remove this ring, or will the new pump sit down on this ring with no problem??? I'd rather not have to try and find this special tool, unless absolutely necessary.

Yes, you need to remove the locking ring from the bottom of the tank to install the new style pump. If you search around in the old forums you should be able to find what someone posted about removing it without the special tool.

Another alternative is to see if you can borrow the tool from the dealer that sold you the pump.

Still another alternative (the better one I believe) is to install the Focus SVT pump. You can buy the pump itself without buying the entire pump module so it is less expensive and is actually an upgrade with slightly more capacity.

You will need to take the pump module apart, and it is not an exact fit, but it should be easy to figure it out. If there are questions about how to do it, you should be able to find the instructions in the old forums.

There were some reports that the pump you bought did not provide sufficient volume for the Contour SVT although it works fine for the Cougar and non-SVT. Perhaps it was just a one time thing.

I finally got the locking ring removed, but not very easy. Since I didn't have the tool for removal, I just broke it up in pieces and finally got it out without damaging the fuel tank. I did not know the Ford replacement pump may not be sufficient. My Contour is a V6 with DOHC. Hopefully it will provide enough volume for it. If there is a fuel volume problem, what will the symptoms be? Thanks for the help.

My mistake. Somehow I pictured that you had a 2000 SVT. If it is not an SVT there should be no issue.

The ones with a problem acted similar to how they ran with the failed pump, loss of power under during high fuel demand such as heavy acceleration.

Back