• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery light flickering

fobCSVT

CEG'er
This morning while I was driving to school my battery light on the dash started flickering for about 2 sec. Maybe it's normal because it was ****'n cold outside this night?

Please tell me it's not my alternator that is going out :(

it was under 3k rpm
probably around 2500-2800

when you say the wiring fix do you mean to upgrades the wires and the battery terminals?

you could but I am talking about the iirc the goldentour wiring fix where you spice the voltage sensing wire to the main alternator feed ...

I would make sure to get your alternator tested at least. You can take it to autozone to get it tested or read the alternator FAQ for testing procedure. I DO NOT recommend using the wiring fix as a first option. The Goldentour wiring fix bypasses the voltage regulator which in turn will turn off your battery light. I know this may be what you want, but not if you have a dying alternator. So test the alternator first and if it's in good condition then wait for the light to reappear before you go try anything else.

start with the cheapest possibilities. The wiring fix and the megafuse on the rear wiring harness.

actually, i would see if the problem persists. Maybe it was just a one time thing.

I would make sure to get your alternator tested at least. You can take it to autozone to get it tested or read the alternator FAQ for testing procedure. I DO NOT recommend using the wiring fix as a first option. The Goldentour wiring fix bypasses the voltage regulator which in turn will turn off your battery light. I know this may be what you want, but not if you have a dying alternator. So test the alternator first and if it's in good condition then wait for the light to reappear before you go try anything else.

but you have to remember that wiring fix was derived from a Ford TSB or service bulletin .... it stated that an additional wire should be run from the fuse box to the alternator to parallel the signal wire for the voltage regulator .... this is because of wiring problems .... with the wiring fix the voltage regulator gets its input voltage from right at the alternator not the fuse box .... if the alternator dies and isn't charging the light will still come on .... it just will not flicker since there was intermittent voltage getting back to the voltage regulator because of a wiring issue ...

so check the voltage and if the alternator is charging correctly but the light is flickering then try the wiring fix, also make sure the accessory drive belt is in good shape as well as the tensioner ...

What year and how many miles? The wiring was supposedly changed (fixed) in 1999.

Back