• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Knock Mod: +1hp for free

2000ZxT

Hard-core CEG'er
So I assume that the contour zetec is equipped with the same knock sensor. When it detects vibration at high RPM it retards the ignition timing a bit.

It is a green plug underneath the second runner. All you have to do it unplug it, it will not throw a code. It does do that much but for a free mod what the hey.

It has been dyno proven to add 1 whole whp!

It retards the ignition timing a few degrees when it senses vibration.

We do this all the time for zx2s. No problems arise from disconnecting this sensor.

It's not about the HP gain its about the fact at 6k your ignition timing doesn't cut back. Definitely worth it in my book, for free.

It just makes your Zetec essentially respond the way it should high rpms.

or you can just tune it so it doesnt cut the timing at 6K. :shrug: besides, how often are you really at 6k anyways.

I used to be at 6k a lot in my zx2. Pot's mod and knock mod was a little bit of tuning you can do for free. I only spent like 300 bucks (header, udp, intake). It's all in the name of being cheap. Not everyone has xcal.

Also, pots mod work on this zetec. Contour Zetecs have a 4 wire maf (correct me if I am wrong) so I don't see why not.

Do you guys have a how-to for that somewhere here?

I haven't seen the intake resistor thing. I know this is may the same thing but is the for gas mileage or power? Most intake resistors people usually round around 5k of resistance.

Pots mod, optimally, uses about 38k of resistance. It works on both the ECT and the IAT. The ECT is the more important connection. Dyno's have proven it to on average to add about 6-9 whp. That's most people's results I have seen people get more. I don't see how it is crap :shrug:

It makes a pretty big difference on the zx2, if but only for 30 seconds or so.

It can look cool too.

l_ec629f4d3e922770f213424a10ef2a7a.jpg

I personally don't care for hack mods like this ...

and ebay resistor mods have been dyno proven to loose power ...

If i wanted to gain HP for short bursts i would rather install a Nitrous setup. much more effective. and like BrApple said, its a hack mod.

This isn't an ebay resistor mod. You have to flip it on when you want the power and it only lasts a little bit before the pcm evens it out, which is where the ebay resistors fails.

Used properly you are guaranteed to not lose whp.

Take it with a grain of salt, for a few bucks its only of the best first mods you can do to your zetec imho.

To the nitrous comment. This cost about...$5 dollars. You may not want to do this but some kid with no money wanting a little bit more power may want to do this. Which is why I post it.

You think that flipping it on nets you hp, which you are saying you can TELL THE DIFFERENCE FROM?

You know how else to get 1 hp?

The next time you are on a dyno, run the car one more time. 1hp is well within the accuracy limit of the rollers ANYWAY so a back-to-back-to-back-to-back set would vary by that much ANYWAY.

How do you feel ONE hp? how do you know it is PROVEN to give you one, if the accuracy is less than 1hp anyway? Lastly.. what the hell do you gain from 1HP even if I thought that you could feel it? Your mileage won't increase, your 1/4 times won't decrease, your stop-light races won't be any closer and your weenie won't get any longer.

What a waste of time for "free" power.... FREE.. for only 1HP gains you'd have to PAY me to think about that much work, much less do it.

Why don't you clean the MAF/TB/EGR/filter? there's your +1 and then some.. gut the cats if you have any mileage, or toss a damn rubbermaid can around the filter for some heat protection and there's more than +1 too..

:nonono:

:sigh:

PS...

1. if its 6-9hp.. good luck with that... IAT and ECT hacking MIGHT gain you something sometime but not anything all the time. In the perfect weather, with the perfect temps, and the perfect times, and the perfect setting, you MIGHT see a gain.. but this isn't something you will just flip on and magically gain from.

2. yes, this IS the resistor mod that we all know is crap.

3. no.. it cannot look cool. :help:

Last edited:
Ray needs to go surf ZX2 forums and he will have more proof then he knows what to do with, the POTS mod is DYNO PROVEN, along with the knocker mod. one of my buddies with a ZX2 S/R got 3whp from the knocker mod.

POTS works, so does the knocker mod. Maybe you should do more research about zx2's.

If the POTS mod didnt work how do you explain a bone stock ZX2 ATX running 16.2, and with POTS hitting 15.8. Same driver, same track, same temp, same day. POTS works, weather you think it does or not.

I explain it the same way I explain that I went to the track and ran a 14.4 my first time in this tour and a 13.3 the by the end of the day... learning... getting better.. learning the car, the launch, the timing..

That hack mod and "3hp!!!1!oneone!" didn't gain you 4 tenths on ANY track... It simply isn't enough to gain you that much time... sorry. if that was your best "proof" (the track times) then you've got a ton of research to do on the automotive principles and hp/weight ratios, etc to do. I don't need to research another forum... I know the principle.. I know the theory and I know the practicality of this "mod" as you call it.

3hp is still hard to prove on the same dyno, even back to back with the same operator and temps... rollers just aren't that accurate..

Good luck.. do it all over the world on every ZX2 there is.. but simply doing it doesn't make it worthwhile, just popular.

I explain it the same way I explain that I went to the track and ran a 14.4 my first time in this tour and a 13.3 the by the end of the day... learning... getting better.. learning the car, the launch, the timing..

That hack mod and "3hp!!!1!oneone!" didn't gain you 4 tenths on ANY track... It simply isn't enough to gain you that much time... sorry. if that was your best "proof" (the track times) then you've got a ton of research to do on the automotive principles and hp/weight ratios, etc to do. I don't need to research another forum... I know the principle.. I know the theory and I know the practicality of this "mod" as you call it.

3hp is still hard to prove on the same dyno, even back to back with the same operator and temps... rollers just aren't that accurate..

Good luck.. do it all over the world on every ZX2 there is.. but simply doing it doesn't make it worthwhile, just popular.
exactly.

heres my original dyno run. back to back runs. nothing different between them. 1HP difference between them :D:D:D:D
dyno.jpg

[Harry Christmas]Did you have your POTS in the carrrrrr??? [/harry]

I think there MUST be some SERIOUS "pots" in the car if there is someone in there that thinks they gained 4 tenths 3hp from that stuff. But it was the kind that was smoking...

Like I said.. maybe.. MAYBE once.. at the perfect time. during the perfect weather, in the perfect fuel loop.. you MIGHT gain....... SOMETHING...

but the other 99million times you lost power across the board to feel what you THOUGHT was a power gain for 25 rpm.. :nonono:

Last edited:
Look..

a stock 2000 zx2 is 2468lbs
average driver of 152lbs
makes
2620 curb weight

2620/130hp (stock power for a ZX2 is 130hp/127tq)

increase that by 3hp to:
2620/133
________
P:W ratio of
1 : 19.7

that would give you an increase in times by... 0.11 or .10? 15.10 to 14.99 for example. Again, those decreases in times would ALSO be much easier to attain by learning to drive the damn car, too.. Its just like the back to back dynos.. they can be off by 2-3hp anyway.. so can back to back drags if you aren't a pro... you're all over the place and nowhere to go but faster as you learn.

Ray, your starting to double post in your old age. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

anyways, if you were posting replying to me, i posted that dyno to prove your point that 1 HP is well within the accuracy of a dyno. (hell 3HP is within the accuracy limit)

more proof. the first time i went to the track with the car was SZ06 (absolutly horrible track, everybody could easily shave .5-1 sec off their times at a good track). IIRC i ran a ~17.8 the first run :nonono:. My fastest run of the night was a 17.1 (out of about 6 runs).

Back