• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Something With The Secondaries, Or Fuel Pump

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
Okay, so I've seen this been discussed before, but not quite remember much of it. The problem: My 00 ATX SE has a VERY hard time getting passed 3K RPMs and a VERY hard time getting up to speed. As in, it's like a 0-60 in like, 25 seconds. Like, its all engine noise, and sooo little acceleration. Now, I've heard that when something is up with your secondaries not opening up, it may cause a hard time getting passed 3500 RPMs? Correct me on that, I cant quite recall on what everyone said. But ALSO, someone said it might be a bad fuel pump. The car currently has right around 91500 miles on it, on a factory fuel pump from, well, back in 2000. I was wondering, since it seems more on the fuel pump problem to me, is that what is really wrong?

If the secondaries are stuck shut, you can still rev up to red line, but it will not be as responsive above 3500 RPM. That doesn't sound like what you are experiencing.

Put a fuel pressure test gauge on it and see if the pressure reading drop off dramatically at upper rpm. If so, check out the fuel pump and the pump inlet screen.

What you are describing also sounds like a plugged exhaust, but that is not a common failure on our cars.

Isn't the fuel pressure supposed to be around 45 psi? I saw it somewhere on here and dont remember where I found it.

And yes, I also heard that it could've been a clogged cat.

I'd put my money on the fuel pump. That's about the same mileage when my 2000 finally started really dying. My symptoms were slightly different, but it might be the difference between the ATX and MTX.

So how did you end up with this case?
I would appreciate if you could update your progress. Even if your problem is fixed, people like me would still appreciate your findings so we can all learn from it.

Thanks

Back