• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Odometer/Trip Odometer

GcS

Be Gentle I'm New Here
The odometer and trip odometer finally failed in my '95 Contour GL last week after roughly 182K miles. For a few weeks before that the odometers worked sporadically, and usually seemed to fail in the heat of the day when the air temp was above 90F and then working again at night when it was cooler. Speedometer, water temp, and fuel gauges are fine and I sometimes hear ( or think I do ) a slight ticking sound when the car is in motion.

Any chance of an easy fix or would this require a new instrument cluster? If the later I think I'll live without the odometers... :laugh:

The odometer and trip odometer finally failed in my '95 Contour GL last week after roughly 182K miles. For a few weeks before that the odometers worked sporadically, and usually seemed to fail in the heat of the day when the air temp was above 90F and then working again at night when it was cooler. Speedometer, water temp, and fuel gauges are fine and I sometimes hear ( or think I do ) a slight ticking sound when the car is in motion.

Any chance of an easy fix or would this require a new instrument cluster? If the later I think I'll live without the odometers... :laugh:

As the speedometer still works, it isn't the cable at the back. And yes, you should "live without the odometers", unless you want to go change out the instrument panel. ;)

Had a feeling that was the case, but thought I'd ask. Thanks for the advice...

I'm pretty sure the odometers are the same for all years of vehicles...I'd wager one of the gears has some worn teeth, causing the clicking sound you were hearing. Take the gauge cluster out and take out the speedometer cluster, and hopefully it'll look SIMILAR to this...I'm not sure how similar the speedo needle is...

0220081331.jpg

My odometer started acting up on me a long time ago and it ended up being the wormgear in the instrument panel had worn down enough not to engage the gears. Its an easy fix.

My odometer started acting up on me a long time ago and it ended up being the wormgear in the instrument panel had worn down enough not to engage the gears. Its an easy fix.
The wormgear...is that the one in the upper right of the unit I posted? That spins and actuates both the odometer and trip meter...

Back