• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

superbright festoon license plate bulbs

hotdimmes

Hard-core CEG'er
Has anyone else replaced their license plate bulbs with these? I know a few of you have from an older thread. The reason I ask is because I'm having problems with mine. First one burned out in a couple of weeks and I thought the second one burned out as well, but now it just flickers erratically. I had it in along with a stock one and the stocker seemed to be fine. I can even host a video of it if someone has some private hosting (i'd rather not put it a 15sec clip of my license plate on a public hosting site, I know it doesnt matter, I don't know why...I would just feel better if I didn't)

Is that the same part number for 98+ Contour's as well?

I apparently burned one of the stock lamps from 1998 out the other day...not bad...8 years for a bulb.

I want to get 2 and have the IS300 LED tailight look. Thanks

I bought the 9-LED festoons and they are freakin sweet. I have them in my license plate, trunk, front dome lamp etc. and got them from a different place than superbrightleds.com. I forget the name of it but I can get it for you. I prefer their goods over superbrightleds.com. Plus this company's customer service is awesome. They sent me two "super star" LED bulbs for the map lights and one was a tad off in shade. It had a little greenish hue to it when it was supposed to be hyper white. I took some pics and e-mailed them to them and got a new one sent to me free of charge.

2248555_14_full.jpg

this is a must mod for me!!

Glad you like 'em Goonz.

I had them on my car for quite awhile now without any problems. You might have a defective pair. Hopefully they get back with you.

Since I just realized that both of mine are burnt out (stock for a 95 -- should have guessed), I was going to be replacing them. The LEDs are way nicer looking that stock so I'm going to go that way.

2 Questions - Will the 36x10 fit on a 95 Contour SE? Do I need resistors to use these?

Thanks in advance!

Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to make their plate lights brighter? Easier for photoradar to see or something :shrug:

I personally would want the lights as dim as legally possible. I'm confused why you guys would want them bright.

Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to make their plate lights brighter? Easier for photoradar to see or something :shrug:

I personally would want the lights as dim as legally possible. I'm confused why you guys would want them bright.

While I see your point, I have a few reasons I want the LEDs.

1. I talked to my mechanic and here in NY, they are starting to become more and more strict regarding the license plate bulbs. He said that if they can't see them easily at dawn or dusk, you will get a ticket. He's had a whole bunch of people come to him with fix-it tickets asking him to help make them brighter so the cops will approve the fix. Not easy as in some cases, it's the stock bulbs that the police ticketed them for. (I hate the inspections in this state by the way).

2. I hate changing bulbs. LEDs last a lot longer than incandescent.

3. I have nothing to hide. Driving with a dim set of bulbs will attract more attention I think than driving with nice clean looking bulbs.

4. I already had to order stuff from superbrightleds.com and since it's a flat rate shipping, seemed easier than trying to find cheap bulbs at a store.

To each their own! My mechanic is interested too since he wonders if this would be a good solution for everyone having cop problems.

2 Questions - Will the 36x10 fit on a 95 Contour SE? Do I need resistors to use these?

Thanks in advance!

Will those fit in a 1998 SVT as well? I like the look and I want some.

If the 36x10 wont fit, what part number do I need to order. I burned out a bulb about 2 weeks ago

If your asking about my interior, its all done with LEDs. Find them off ebay for real cheap in the color you want and replace the existing LEDs with them. There is a how-to on it for both door handles and window switches.

Back