• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MOMO Steering wheel

JesusFreak

Hard-core CEG'er
Wanted to put MOMO Steering wheel in my 98 SVT, does anyone know of a hub that will work? I don't think I've ever seen an aftermarket steering wheel in here, anyone got a picture,and tell me what hub they used?

you don't see aftermarket steering wheels because I beleive it may be illegal to remove the airbag ... but I am not really sure on that one ...

Since cruise control (if equipped) and the air bag are in the factory steering wheel, I really don't think you want to change that out. IIRC, removing an airbag may be illegal... I know you can't pass inspection in NY without all factory installed airbags :)

legality of removing the air bag depends on the state and what the intended use for the car is (daily driver, weekend auto-x, full race, etc). also if you remove the airbag and your insurance company finds out your rates will either jump drastically or they may even drop coverage on the vehicle (ive seen it happen).

i personally love the contour steering wheel. the only reason i would change it is to replace the leather which has completly deteriorated

ummm, what good is an airbag if it doesnt work, i rear ended a guy at about 20 about a month ago, and airbag never realesed, screw the airbag... and i can rewire cruise on, and set to the two buttons on the steering wheel, since im not using any type of nitrous anytime soon..

Last edited:
Who needs active and passive saftey systems when you have momo and jebus?:laugh:

As posted above, the Focus hub will fit - with some minor mods. All you gotta do is to take off the steering wheel column cover - as a matter of fact there are two halves of this cover - and file the excess plastic off (Focus hub is slightly bigger than ours.)

Blue_Wheel_Passenger_Side.JPG

thats the same modifications needed for the Cougar...

did you grind the hub at all though? the only way to get the blinker to turn itself off after turning is to grind a bit of the metal.. I never did mine so I cant tell you for sure on what area it is but people over at NewCougar have done it.

Nope, never done that, but I am so used to manually turn them off that I forgot they r supposed to go off by themselves :D

ive been tempted by the thought of installing a MOMO...but i absolutely love the stock csvt steering wheel, and i have tons of comments from friends how its the best wheel their hands have ever felt, has anyone ever tried calling ford for a direct replacement? i wonder how much it would be

Back