• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is it possible to relocate/replace power antenna?

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm thinking of just cutting or removing the power antenna all together and putting a regular antenna on there. Is there a low profile antenna that'll bolt on to the power atenna spot (under the chrome trim piece that holds it to the rear right fender)? Also I was thinking of just disconnecting the powerline to it so that the motor (dead) will not try and move or make noise and just running a metal line to the top of the roof and mounting a Euro style (jetta, yaris, corolla, etc, or even BMW low profile antenna) on top. I'm sick of having to repair, rebuild and recrank this antenna, and even sicker of trying to get ripped off by local junk yards, I think the Contique looks better with a Euro style low profile antenna anyways, if anyone can give me some general guidance about it that'd be nice...TIA :).

You can find those at any auto part stores for about the same price ($30.) If your motor is busted, take it out and replace it with a lighter and shorter antenna or your choice.

I disconnected the power line to the antenna a long time ago and picked up Sirius Sat to replace it. I dont think you should cut/remove the antenna IMO, for resale appeal and such. But who knows, maybe it's something cool to do.

I pulled the plug on mine a while ago as well. Between XM and my iPod (and to a lesser extent my CDs), I NEVER listened to the radio. Now it just sits in the down position as it should.

For the cost of that that antenna you can get a brand new power antenna on eBay. Power antennas will wear out, however, replacing it with a brand new one will get you much further than a junk-yard one already 90% of the way through its life-cycle...

I wired the signal wire from the stereo up to a push button that sits under the stereo...so now if I do decide to listen to the radio, I can put the antenna up then, and leave it down otherwise.

I disconnected the power line to the antenna a long time ago and picked up Sirius Sat to replace it. I dont think you should cut/remove the antenna IMO, for resale appeal and such. But who knows, maybe it's something cool to do.

I think most of us have already distroyed our resale value.

mines a cougar so I dont have a motorized antenna. I just got fed up with that whole R/C car look of it mounted on the center of the roof. So I removed it and had the hole filled and painted. Ironically, the radio reception is just as good without the physical antenna [and better than using a shorty antenna]

My cd player only raises the antenna if I turn the FM/AM radio on (which I can't remember the last time I did that was). Are not all cd players like that?

Stock CD player don't. I'm not sure about all the other brands but even my cheap ($99) ones only raise the antenna with the radio.

My cd player only raises the antenna if I turn the FM/AM radio on (which I can't remember the last time I did that was). Are not all cd players like that?

My Pioneer has it up the whole time the HU is on... This is also an "antenna" wire, it has a seperate remote wire for the amp (which operates the same way, on whenever the HU is on).

BMW antennae

BMW antennae

anyone ever completely remove the stock antenna, body fill the old hole, and fit on a bmw style "shark fin" antenna? Can anyone post some pics that may have done this? Hard to find a donor for this kind of project, but wondering if it even worth the hassle...

Mine doesn't go up, for the sole purpose that it got bent somehow down to the base and the metal eventually became flimsy and it broke right off.. so I had to cut the cord, literally haha

i have a aftermarket cd player and evertime i take the cd out my antenna gose down and then cd back in a antenna gose back up. it dosent bother me much. i just wonder what the car behind me is thinking sometimes

I saw that on ebay once but decided not to get it because I'm no good at body filling. Its not a bad price though.

From what i've heard, if the antenna touches some bare metal on your roof, your entire roof becomes an antenna.

But like I said, this is what i've heard, and don't actually know if this is true or not.

Back