• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

data logging help!

I have an XP laptop that I've been using but will try using my Vista laptop tonight (battery lasts like 3 times as long :laugh:) or at least this week as I have plans to use it this weekend.

Psssh forget old school XP. Its going to work with Vista whether it wants to or not. :D

Setting a computer up for dual boot with XP seems like more work then just using Vista, since people have reported successfully doing it.

Well, what little experience I have had trying to get Vista to work with livelink... it would take a hell of a lot of luck.. though this was over a year ago and the Vista problem wasn't prevalent because only three people had ever had vista who also had livelink at that time.. maybe now its easier and more straightforward.

However.. dual booting is almost foolproof.

insert cd.. choose another partition, click next, next, continue, next, finish.. (just like any other XP install) and you're done.

Ray, its not easier now. I tried many many different things with sct on the phone and nothing worked. Those that got it to work must have had Bill Gates on the line cause it didnt for me and sct.

To me, reading posts on the SCT forum, it sounded like livelink was compatible with vista. It's just the drivers that get all screwed up sometimes. So the vista won't recognize the XCal. Ryan how far did you get?

Installing a dual boot is straight forward IF you have a spare partition. And if you have some experience with how operating systems install.

Well I was researching the dual boot last night and found many how too's on how to do it, alot of it was lost in translation to me but most I understood. Ray is gonna walk me through it so I can actually use the xcal for what it was made for.

Well I was researching the dual boot last night and found many how too's on how to do it, alot of it was lost in translation to me but most I understood. Ray is gonna walk me through it so I can actually use the xcal for what it was made for.

I meant how far did you get with it using Vista :)

Not far at all, it downloaded part of livewire then said that it was not compatable and we couldnt get it past that part.

Not far at all, it downloaded part of livewire then said that it was not compatable and we couldnt get it past that part.
n00b :p

Untitled-1.jpg

Okay, well what I did was install this old set of drivers I had, just in case I was going to need them. Then I downloaded the Livelink version 4.30 from here and ran the installer normally. Got through all that loaded the Livelink to make sure it installed properly, plugged in my XCal that was already hooked up to the car and voila, Vista picked up both drivers it needed and I was datalogging.

I just got it to work on vista as well. downloaded livelink V4.3 and it worked without any problems. just double check what COM port the PC assigns the serial-usb converter(xcal2) to, in my case it was COM8

Did you get your CD Ryan?

I just got back in the country from a quick trip (left Thursday when I mailed the CD) and just got home 10 minutes ago.

I don't think it would help.. the VMware would still be run natively through the Vista hardware layer.. all the ports, irq's etc are still derived from the original OS. The thing about VMware(et al) is that the software (VMware) and the programs run inside it don't "know" that it is anything other than a single OS. They (including the OS) can't see "outside" of itself.

However, all the operations are actually being passed from the original OS, and anything that would have been a troublesome thing in Vista is still going to be troublesome in VMware as it would be getting the hardware, libraries, or system functions from Vista anyway.

At least... that's my guess.

Virtualization is different than emulation. Most code is executed natively and VMWare can map USB ports to the guest OS. The host OS wouldn't run any SCT code in any way.

Unless SCT uses USB ports in a proprietary way, you should be able to use SCT software running on an XP guest OS on a Vista host. Virtualization is way more convenient than dual-booting and is usually good for anything but 3D gaming. You can also quickly suspend/resume virtual machines to start work where you left off.

But I don't have any experience with SCT software...

Back