• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Seafoam

harrup

CEG'er
I added a can of Seafoam to the oil in both my 95 & 00 Countours.

Shortly after this I had to replace the intake manifold gaskit in the 00 & the AT on the 95 began leaking at the front of the bell housing--mechanic thinks it might be a bad converter seal.

Has anyone had problems like the above after using Seamfoam?

We could have told you that was a bad idea adding it to the oil but it shouldnt have affected a manifold gasket or a transmission gasket.

Seafoam

Actually, I think I got the idea to use Seafoam in the oil from the forums.

Thanks for responding. What type of damage may I have done?

Well it does say you can use it in the oil right on the can. You probably didnt do any damage but adding a solvent to your oil to help lubrication doesnt make a ton of sense if you stop to really think about it. It would make a good flush if you left it in for like 15 minutes but most people needlessly flush with solvents just assuming they have a problem they need to fix.

iv only heard of bad things about seafoam, never heard of it being used in oil, only to decarbonate the heads

I have never used it in the oil of a vehicle, but I have used it in every vehicle I've owned (30-40) as well as many vehicles that came in the shop that I worked for. It has freed up more stuck rings and gummed up injectors than i can count. It also works like charm on carbon covered pistons, valves, intakes, and throttle bodies. It is invaluable on ford products that have a tendency to ping (mainly 4.0 rangers and explorers). I usually dump a can in the fuel and spray another can in the throttle body while the engine is running. I let it sit for about 15 mins and then crank it back up and chase the seafoam with a 2 liter bottle of water sprayed in the throttle body to clean it out even more. After that I take a ride around the neighborhood to blow out all the smoke from junk it removed from the engine. Some people call it snake oil but I swear by the stuff.

iv only heard of bad things about seafoam, never heard of it being used in oil, only to decarbonate the heads

It was probably used more in the oil years ago before people knew better than to add solvents to their oil hoping it would help. It does work great for clearing out carbon though.

You put Seafoam in the engine and run the engine for about 5 minutes and then change the oil and filter. It clears the gunk in the engine.

If you leave it in for a long time (maybe 500 miles or so), it probably took more of the gunk than necessary. That is probably what is causing the leak now. The gunk which acted like a stopper in the seals has been washed out and started the mainifold leak.

I have not done it for the tranny and don't intend to. If there is gunk in the tranny, the tranny is probably gone.

Back