• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Washed the car yesterday but...

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
with the construction goin on behind my girlfriends house we had a bit of a mud issuse. We had a storm and the ally behind the house was like a muddy river, same with infront of the house...
IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

here is after the water cleared out...
IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

it WAS spotless before the rain

best cleaning agent for the engine bay is Automotive Simple Green, can be found at any major auto parts store, cover with a plastic bag your air filter and your battery, libereally spray down the engine bay with Simple Green, then hose away, using a towel dry the engine bay, allow to dry over night.

It really works, i've done it on my last 3 cars, made the engine look brand new.

best cleaning agent for the engine bay is Automotive Simple Green, can be found at any major auto parts store, cover with a plastic bag your air filter and your battery, libereally spray down the engine bay with Simple Green, then hose away, using a towel dry the engine bay, allow to dry over night.

It really works, i've done it on my last 3 cars, made the engine look brand new.

I thought the best way to dry the engine was to start it up.

yea i know about the simple green, i use it for everything. i'll have to do it sometime soon, i just hate when i spend time doin that kinda stuff and something happens litterally 4 hours later.

Good advice, except I recommend REMOVING the air filter and battery. Leaving the battery connected is a horrible idea...

If the battery is covered or not, you are still soaking other wires in the engine bay. With the car on or off, the battery is distributing power to certain wires.

I had my starter sparking the last time I tried to clean my engine bay with the battery connected. After that time, the battery comes out anytime I do thorough cleaning.

completely threadjacking, but does anyone know a good way to get tar off your paint? i went through some road work and i can't get it off at all, it's like it soaked into the clearcoat almost....

Good advice, except I recommend REMOVING the air filter and battery. Leaving the battery connected is a horrible idea...

I dont like the idea of removing the air filter because its higher potential for water to get into the inside of the piping and pool up, so the next time you start you car, you get a big gob of water in the air intake, but removing the battery would be smarter, I agree with that.

I thought the best way to dry the engine was to start it up.

toweling is to assist with removing any additional grease, I never liked the idea of starting the car with a bunch of water in the engine bay.

I dont like the idea of removing the air filter because its higher potential for water to get into the inside of the piping and pool up, so the next time you start you car, you get a big gob of water in the air intake

1. Cover the intake with a towel and a rubber band.
2. Clean engine bay
3. Use intake towel to dry engine bay
4. Replace filter
5. Drive

Problem solved:cool:

Anything is possible with some red-neck ingenuity

goober :p
The towel covering the intake will get soaking wet from the washing, so it'll be useless for driving everything off afterward.
You're better off plastic bagging it with the rubber band.

Back