• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil in intake and fill cap.

tedBalog

CEG'er
I've had horrible perfomance for the past week or so. It seemed like a dirty MAF, so I took the filter off to check it out. There was a puddle of oil resting in the intake pipe, and covering the MAF. I also noticed oil dripping from the fill cap. SO.

AliasJerk suggested I check the PCV valve out. Yesterday I replaced the valve which seemed to be stuck seeing that I had to hit it with a screw driver loosen the inside.

I drove, about 50 miles today, about half way I stopped at a gas station to see if it was still happening, and sure enough more oil was coming from the fill cap.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you know of the best way to troubleshoot what needs replaced in the PCV system?
See where oil is in which of the hoses. That will point you in the direction of the issue. 9 times out of 10, it is a broken hose or gasket.

Last week, I was nearing 3k miles, checked the oil and it was a quart low. When I replaced the valve I changed the oil, so it's fine now. I have to run it back and forth between school and work throughout this upcoming week, I'll check it every day and take note.

EDIT: I'm running a zetec by the way.

You could have a vacuum leak. Which explains the oil in the tubes? But it could be anything without the code (from O2 sensor to MAF sensor to general leak).

I have a feeling it's the MAF considering it gets covered in oil. Driving it can be a pain, especailly when cold. It just wants to bog.
But you do need to take care of the oil issue first or the new MAF sensor will break down again.

Is it possible that the problem would fix slowly? I cleaned the oil fill cap of very well, and also the threads on the inside and I no longer get a drip from the fill cap. Oil level has stayed solid at about 1/2 between min and max and it seems as the "throw up" of oil in the intake has lessened.

Back