• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior lights won't turn off!

csvt99

CEG'er
Something strange happened to my car today....the interior lights won't go out! I checked the swith setting and it was set on 12 seconds, but it would just not go out. I set the switch to off, which did work, but the small lights that illuminate your feet were still on.

I checked the little switches on the doors and they all seemed to be fine. I had no choice but to unhook the battery :(

Does anyone know what my problem could be? TIA

Thanks guys, its late now so I'll try the test tomorrow and see what happens. I can't drive it anyway because the brakes are locked up :/

And, your "oreo" switch on the dash isn't "clicked" on is it?

Oreo switch? You mean the interior dimmer switch? That happened to me one other time but I figured it out. I didn't check it this time because I didn't touch that switch (the first time i bumped it when i was cleaning) in a while. I'll go check just to be sure :)

Yes.. The interior dimming switch.. most people won't find it, so I refer to it as it looks... an Oreo.

Search the older forums for the CTU(Central Timing Unit) test, if it isn't that switch.

It actually COULD be the interior switch either way.. if it was faulty and won't turn the lights off no matter what, then it could be possible.

remove the switch and disconnect the leads from it, see if the lights go off.

Okay....looks like I get the dumba$$ of the night award! Somehow that switch was on...the only thing i can think of is that i bumped it cleaning again last week, and that it was on this whole time but didn't draw enough power to kill the battery.

I forgot about that switch. 98.5 and lower I think did not have that same switch. It was just a dimmer switch alone but never controlled the interior lights from going on or off.

Back