• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The End May be Near...

ZeroHour

Mod/Salad Tosser
...traffic today, car was jumping gears. Was fighting 65-70 up a hill.

I'm off of work tomorrow as of 10 minutes ago and its getting torn down.

We'll see what happens, and I'll keep you posted.

:cry:

Manual swap! Do it!

owen_starsky__hutch_signature_do_it.jpg

$250 dollars worth of stuff (missing valve cover gaskets):

HPIM4863.jpg

going for a trans drain and serpentine belt swap. Then for a drive.

If this does help, I'm still taking the top end off this weekend and checking everything. Its not the conditions I wanted to swap the LIM under, but the power is gone on the low end. Idea points at trans, but it could be a number of things, so new plugs are going in with an intake cleaning, LIM swap, valve covers coming off, see what it looks like under neath. New serpentine belt just in case. Oil to be changed, antifreeze to be swapped and waterpump to be checked. Want to make sure I'm not generating too much heat somewhere else that is hurting the trans and motor.

Last edited:
...I have spent 45 minutes fighting with a funnel...

...This has not been a good day...:nonono:

Why does it seem like you're throwing parts at the car without getting an actual diagnosis? Just wondering...:confused:

I originally had plans to put just the LIM on tomorrow (SAT). So some of this was already prepped sitting in the garage. :laugh:

Schedule:
-Plugs
-LIM
-Intake Cleaning
-Oil change

Wasn't on the Schedule:
-Trans fluid :mad:
-Trans Cooler
-Antifreeze
-Valve Covers (figured if I'm having issues, time to take them off and see whats going on underneath.)
-Serpentine Belt
-Check Waterpump

Was on the block for future weekends:
-Antifreeze
-Trans Cooler
-Serpentine Belt

Since things wanted to go to hell, I'm gonna pull it all apart and see what I can find, and just do alot of everything.

Right now my suspect problem is that the trans is getting too hot with commuting 36-37 one way. So I want to go over and make sure everything stays nice and cool.

...Update...

*Injectors are PITA to pull out from the fuel rail. :laugh: But all tips where clean. O-rings where pretty dried out.

*LIM is off, its pretty dirty down into the head. I thought I had a bent/damaged valve on first glance inspection. The fourth cyclinder (? back, left hand side) has a huge buldge of build up on the valve. :confused: I broke the build up off with a wooden dowel(?sp) rod.

*Plugs looked good except for 4th cyclinder, seemed to have a real light coat of oil on it, but plug was clean.

*Valve covers are not hard to take off, just a long list of things to remove. I will probably be doing some wire harness repairs to the loom since all of it was breaking where I bent it.

*Underside valve covers are clean, super clean for almost 90K in my opinion. Mild layer build up right above rockers.

*Cams and rollers look good. Only one had a visible score line on the lobe. And it was a very fine line. Lobes are worn down, but are completely smooth and appear to have a symetric wear. No visible damage to the springs, and the head is just as clean as the valve cover. A mild dark buildup where the oil would run.

*As for the trans, drain and refill, drove it around. Seems to have the same bump into gear its always had. Did not take the motor above 2800-3000 rpm. But it drove and did not have a problem getting rolling like I did Thursday afternoon (IE pedal not 3/4 to the floor).

To do:
-Decided to paint the valve covers black, since they are off, might as well go for it, and they need to be cleaned up anyway.
-Need to decide how to mount the trans cooler. Box lied! It only listed the size of the heat core itself. It neglected to mention the 3 inches of the piping wrapping aorund through the core. so instead of a 12" wide core, its more like 15" wide core. :shrug: Looks like I might have to put it in front of the radiator after all.
-Gaskets and rebuild
-Antifreeze and waterpump check
-Oil

Its gonna be a long day! :laugh:

Haha I thought about it, but there is not a green the is readily avaliable. Well except a duplicolor neon green. :nonono:

I'm even stuck using the duplicolor gloss black which i'm not happy about. But it will have to do.

Gloss black is fine, it'll look nice.

Did you have the new serpentine belt on it when you took it for a ride?

Serpinetine belt is not on yet.

BUT I did find what makes that evil stain on the side of the block!!!

I have seen this on my contours, and I bet there are alot of people floating around here with the same problem. The accessory drive side of the block gets a stain down the side from under the steering pump. I had heard before it was from the steering pump and with age the seals go bad!

Guess again friends! The PVC vale travels down to the middle of the block, where the tube connects to a "bonnet" that caps the block. MY CAP WAS NOT TIGHTENED DOWN AT ALL! :nonono: I saw the oil around it and new it was the PVC valve, so I was like hmm wth? And it moved fairly easily. Not alot of movement, but 1/8" to each side. So I grab a the 8mm socket and the bolts come right out. :nonono:

Needless to say, I will be making a post about this in the Duratec forum later on. but right now I need to start getting everything back together.

Scott, I think I have a crank sensor here if you want to try a different one.
Can't hurt, it's here if you need it.

As it sits, car will not start. Will crank itself to death, but just doesn't want to make that leap back to life.

I have the upper intake torn back off. Only thing I can tell is that maybe the injects need to be pushed in a little deeper. They seem like they have a little bit to go yet, but the orings are to new and soft to go in that far. That and my shoulder stenght is run down to nothing after 3 days in a garage in this heat. :blackeye:

I'm going to bed, I guess I have to attempt to take the cavy on a the voyage to work tomorrow. :help:

It lives it lives!!!! :laugh:

Why I don't know, but a little oil in the cyclinder, and the ground strap on the other corner of the coil pack and it farted then kicked right off. I filled the whole 3 bay garage with smoke from the exhaust. :nonono:

Oil in three cyclinders, plus carb cleaner fumes, and all the gas!

It still needs a maiden voyage, but it drove out of the garage till it stopped smoking.

:cool:

You're welcome. ;) :laugh:

Glad to hear that you got her running again. :cool:

Back