• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

installin a oil pressure gauge

dannimarieiro

CEG'er
how do i install the oil pressure gauges i got all the lights workin that easy but where is the sender or where the tube is suppose to go??

thanks danni:help:

If it is a mechanical oil gauge you can use one of one of the oil plugs on the cylinder block. The gauge should come with a assortment of fittings.

Take a picture or describe the contents of the box it came in. We need to know if it's mechanical or electrical.

So will mechanical which he has. LOL!

But you have to deal with that cheap crappy plastic tubing. If I were to go back to a mechanical gauge I'd try something other than that plastic.

There are a few different plugs you can remove in the engine that will give you a pressure reading. The most common (although not the most accurate maybe) is in the rear cylinder head under the egr valve.

So will mechanical which he has. LOL!
and way more prone to spring a leak. I never said where to put the sending unit for the electric guage now did I:shrug: I'm not a retard like the person I purchased this car I have now from or the mechanic that did the old motor. If the sending unit is in the head by the time you see low pressure there its going to be a little late

I just replaced my mechanical autometer with an electric autometer. Though it didn't really leak at the gauge, my piller pod did have a grime covering the pod with that gauge.... and it looked like it was either subtly "bleeding" or maybe it was oil vapors. All I know is I regret spending money on the mechanical gauge.

But you have to deal with that cheap crappy plastic tubing. If I were to go back to a mechanical gauge I'd try something other than that plastic.

There are a few different plugs you can remove in the engine that will give you a pressure reading. The most common (although not the most accurate maybe) is in the rear cylinder head under the egr valve.

That's why you use copper tubing!

oh i have never had an issue with my mechanical oil pressure gauge. iv had it for 2+ years now, the reading is always 11 at idle when fully warm and 90 on a cold start so im sure the reading is just fine. obviously if their was an issue it may take an extra second before i know about it but its doin its job. im tapped into the rear head right by the throttle body.

oh i have never had an issue with my mechanical oil pressure gauge. iv had it for 2+ years now, the reading is always 11 at idle when fully warm and 90 on a cold start so im sure the reading is just fine. obviously if their was an issue it may take an extra second before i know about it but its doin its job. im tapped into the rear head right by the throttle body.
Looks like your idle reading is really low. My gauge (mechanical and electric) show 21-25 at idle during the summer and 25-29 in the winter.

Looks like your idle reading is really low. My gauge (mechanical and electric) show 21-25 at idle during the summer and 25-29 in the winter.

at the rear head the pressure at idle would be ~12 psi.

if the reading is taken from the main oil galley behind the A/C compressor or on a remote oil filter it will be ~20 at idle

reading at the head cruising on the highway is ~ 35 psi
read from the main oil galley ~65 psi

its been the same for 3 years. it seems every year i loose a psi though. haha. i drove prolly 40000 miles and lost a psi or two. im callin normal wear. either way 3.0 time :)

Back