• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

went to get a dyno tune; found problems...

So I ended up going to Logan Motorsports to get a tune and they were working on itt but then quickly found problems.

Under load they found it was misfiring after 3500 when the secondaries open up. Once that happens they saw that the timing starts bouncing around all over the place. The fuel pressure is 55-60lbs is that high? I checked the front 3 plugs and one wire wasn't seated properly but that didnt help.

I will be checking the back three plugs and wires sometime after this long weekend, The only other suggestion they had was a bad fuel rail pressure sensor but idk.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas. The vacuum readings were fine, if you guys want more info just ask.

THANKS!

i had PMed him yesterday morning before the tune. I dont think he knows of anything wrong.. I PMed him again but no response so he might be busy. I'm having a damn problem even noticing it cause it drives decent still. And it has solid motor mounts so the minor vibration just feels normal. I really need some help

i got too anxious and logan said they could do it for closer to their price, and retunes were fairly inexpensive.. i guess it works in my favor cause they found this problem while doing the run on the dyno under load.

yes charged dyno time, left with pretty much a no tune. they just fixed up the kinks at idle and low end. they couldnt finish because 3500rpm and up things started going wack. They said when i come back in they wont charge me the setup fee or anything as long as they can finish. I did plugs and wires yesterday... the problem im having is i can't tell if its fixed or not. It feels fine in the upper range, and especially now that thye have tuned it a little it feels different as it is. I dont know what its supposed to feel like when i fix it, I dont know what else to test. One plug wire seemed loose, but no significant differerence after fixing.

by the way the car used to have a serious bucking problem at upper rpm probably 5k and up. on my drive back with the car on the highway i had a buck while cruising which was painful because there was nothing i could do except engage the clutch or put in neutral and then back in gear. That was mysteriously resolved after i used a MAF cleaner. except came back within days... then i got a new MAF except the problem had disappeared before I got the new part and now after installing the new MAF it still has yet to reoccur. Since then I've replaced the fuel filter, plugs, and wires. No more bucking but i guess still misfires. Those solid mounts make it so hard to tell the unwanted vibrations from the wanted ones :confused:

today ive started to notice the hesitation around 2500rpm but nothing severe. anyone have any ideas? the fuel pump was changed by someone who previously owned the car.

How bad is the hesistation? My car kinda hesitates at that RPM but its very slight. It would be as if you were cruising down the high way and you felt the AC kick on.

Y2KSVT's SVT did the same thing.

mines very light. it used to be severe a little better than a death shake on a manual. now its just like 2500rpm when i get on it i feel a slight hesitation and sometimes again when it hits around 3-3200.

What size injectors are you running?

Is it possible for you to do any data logging? It would be nice to know what the A/F is like when these conditions occur.

yeah i can datalog, still getting used to it but I can do it. When im in the datalogging menu i think there was like three options for a/f? I may be just talking out my ass but there were a lot of different options. Do you know which one to choose? And Reebs has informed me that they are stock injectors.

The first mistake is the tune should be tuned for the street not the dyno because dyno tunes are good for peak power once you established a solid street tune. The street tune has drive cycles you must complete which you can't do on the dyno plus you need decel, tip throttle etc and the list goes on. They should tune your car on the street if there are any mechanical issue you will feel it more on the street unlike the dyno plus the good thing is it is cheaper to tune the car by datalogs first then go to the dyno to just adjust WOT for the A/F since it is not controlled by closed loop or O2's. I almost always found the problem with datalogs because your sensors tell more info than your butt on the seat does. This is when it gets expensive when you have to return back and forth let me know if I can help. Joey

I know we talked via PM but they should be adjusting the timing, etc... in the tune so of course it isn't dead on right now with the 2.5L tune. I am confused on exactly what the problem is because as you told me it runs great so I am leaning towards them not knowing what's up as the issue if there is any issue. Fuel pressure is where it should be so that seem fine. Did they understand that this is a 3L motor in a 2.5L SVT? I'm here to help ya man if there is a little issue and I'll send you any little sensor or whatever that you might need. I have multiples of everything.

I'd talk to Joey about sending you a real tune and you should be good to rock.

Reebs

How bad is the hesistation? My car kinda hesitates at that RPM but its very slight. It would be as if you were cruising down the high way and you felt the AC kick on.

Y2KSVT's SVT did the same thing.

No it doesn't...not that I can notice at least.

No it doesn't...not that I can notice at least.

I payed more attention to mine today at it actually happens about 1750 RPMs and only when its cold. After about 5 minutes, it doesnt do it anymore.

I remember Mark's car did it. He's actually the one that brought it up to me. Like I said, it was very faint. It may not even do it anymore.

Back