• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Air/Fuel ratio problems

D

demoneyes27

I installed a custom-fitted short ram intake and upgraded ignition system on my car. The codes i get back are saying every bank is running lean. I've been told to buy a power programmer or wideband o2 sensor kit or an adjustable fuel regulator blah blah blah! I would like to know which would be the BEST way to fix the problem! Thank you!

will have to pull exact code numbers, description says all banks are running lean, 2.0 DOHC w/ auto, Cosmo Racing short ram air intake, MSD 4 tower coil-pack, MSD wire set, Bosch Iridium +4 plugs

So it didnt pull exact codes the first time? And you arent doing yourself any good running those crappy Bosch plugs.

It did but i threw the paper away with the codes on it. What plugs would you recommend then?

Autolite Double Plats or OEM (Motorcraft)

with motorcraft spark plug wires too. plus from what I understand the MSD coil pack isn't really needed, the stock one very good.

if you are running lean then there is unmetered air getting into the intake. but I would like to know the exact code first.

Fixed the problem...changed out air filters. I guess the other one wasn't good enough.

I'd vote for fixing the actual problem inadvertently. You probably had a faulty gasket seal, unplugged hose, etc. and by removing and reinstalling it again you either "found" the hose you forgot the first time or the gasket sealed correctly the second time.

That wouldnt cause an issue with running lean. Let us know if/when the code comes back.

exactly.. anything that is "before" (as in.. further away from the engine than) the MAF can NEVER cause a lean condition. If your car was running lean then your problem was "after" (as in.. closer to the engine than) the MAF..

Changing out the filter, or leaving it off COMPLETELY wouldn't cause a lean code, nor correct one. All that would do is allow dirty air to enter the engine.. that's it.

Back