• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New intake is making weird noises.

BOMBdig

CEG'er
I just installed a focus intake onto my 96 GL ATX contour today and all seemed to be going alright until i began driving down the street. all of a sudden it started making this strange screeching sound. It got really loud then went away for a minute then started back up, but this time even louder and it would happen in like one second intervals of screeching then silence. it sounded horrible and i had everyone with working ears staring at me like i had a bomb strapped to my car.

does anyone know why it's making this noise?:shrug:

Is that a zetec E motor in that Contour? Focus has E type. Was the Contour intake to head gasket one piece or the 4 rubber rings? Reason I ask is that sounds like a pretty good intake leak.

Did you put on the focus intake piping/filter, or the manifold? My guess is that it's loose and banging up on something.

Check the clearance between the filter/piping/or any connections and the hood itself.. could be vibrating..

could that fact that it isn't secured yet be a possibility. i mean it doesn't seem like that would be the problem because the noise is coming from near the throttle body.

okkk soo i just went outside to take one last look at the intake. The noise was coming from the throttle body, so i had been focusing on that area. Then i realized that the breather hose i got for the intake was REALLY wimpy and just folds over on itself causing the air to resonate in the elbow above the throttle body. I'm pretty sure this is problem solved, all i have to do is go buy a stronger breather hose. well, unless there actually IS a dying cat in my intake.:crazy:

okkk soo i just went outside to take one last look at the intake. The noise was coming from the throttle body, so i had been focusing on that area. Then i realized that the breather hose i got for the intake was REALLY wimpy and just folds over on itself causing the air to resonate in the elbow above the throttle body. I'm pretty sure this is problem solved, all i have to do is go buy a stronger breather hose. well, unless there actually IS a dying cat in my intake.:crazy:
I vote for dying cat in the intake:laugh:

That was definitely some WEIRD ish! :crazy:

I agree with "problem solved" on this one. The screeching was only at idle and it was coming from INSIDE the elbow on the TB. Lindsey was fiddling with the breather hose and it went away. Plugged it back up, and it started to come back. Hopefully she will do as stated and pick up a sturdier breather hose. That one that's on there now SUCKS hardcore!

Linds post up that video :laugh:

That was definitely some WEIRD ish! :crazy:

I agree with "problem solved" on this one. The screeching was only at idle and it was coming from INSIDE the elbow on the TB. Lindsey was fiddling with the breather hose and it went away. Plugged it back up, and it started to come back. Hopefully she will do as stated and pick up a sturdier breather hose. That one that's on there now SUCKS hardcore!

Linds post up that video :laugh:

if only you knew what you were talking about...

the noise was there when i was driving as well, it just got WAYYY worse when i was idling. The video will not upload to my computer because i have no video player on it...lame.

if only you knew what you were talking about...

the noise was there when i was driving as well, it just got WAYYY worse when i was idling. The video will not upload to my computer because i have no video player on it...lame.
You're smarter than me.

At the risk of sounding like a smartass, lame is not being able to upload a video because you have no player. There are free players all over the web, also, you don't need a player just to upload a file, the computer will upload any viable file, it doesn't care what type it is. It may not recognize the file type, but it will copy it all day long. You just may not be able to preview it on computer before you upload. You could possibly need a device driver that is buried in some type of proprietary video player before your device will be recognized by computer of course.

Back