• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coolant light light acts stupid

fobCSVT

CEG'er
I don't know why but about once a week. When I start my car in the morning the coolant light remains lighted for 2-3 minutes. It goes off by itself after. I checked the coolant level and it is to the max line. Why my coolant light would go on?

Sensor is too sensitive-I got a new bottle with a new sensor and the light never went off-just another fun Contour quirk-you can just accept it or get another sensor-
Mike

Heck, mine comes on and usually stays on after it has been running for about 17 minutes. I know this because it always comes on right before I get to the roundabout at the entrance to my subdivision when driving home from work. The level is okay so I've pretty much figured out it is a defective sensor in the recovery bottle.

It has been this way for a few years and I've gotten used to it. Since I'm going to keep this car til death do us part (the cars, not mine hopefully) it is something I can live with.

Yeah, the fix is to overfill it a little bit. It usually stays on a little bit when you just start driving because when the water gets hot, it expands a little bit, there-for raising the fluid level and the light goes off.

thanks, I'll have to change my coolant soon so I will be adding some more. What kind of coolant you guys run?

Zerox G05 will serve you well. That's what Ford started using in 2001 on some models and pretty much everything by 2002. Ford now says it is appropriate for back to 99. Experience shows that it works wonderfully wherever the old style conventional green was original equipment.

Zerox G05 will serve you well. That's what Ford started using in 2001 on some models and pretty much everything by 2002. Ford now says it is appropriate for back to 99. Experience shows that it works wonderfully wherever the old style conventional green was original equipment.

Never heard this before. Is this a brand or a spec like GL4, GL5 in trans oils?

It is not a spec in same manner as gear oil.

The term "G05" came from BASF, the European compnay that "doesn't make things, they just make things better". There is quite a long list of coolants with a G in their name. For example some VW products use G11 and G12. Some were only used for a short time by only a few automakers.

G05 has been used by Mercedes for quite some time. It is currently used by Ford and Chrysler.

It is also know as a "HOAT" or hybrid organic acid technology. You are probably already familiar with OAT under it's more common name Dexcool. HOAT uses a very small dose of silicate to suppliment the OAT chemistry.

By the way, except for the uncommon "eco friendly" products like Sierra, all antifreeze is mostly ethelyne glycol. The OAT and HOAT only apply to the additive package that tames ethelyne glycol as by itself it is pretty agressive stuff.

Back