• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX questions / removal and replacement help

OldSkool Member

New CEG'er
I'm in the middle of trying to take my mtx out of my car, and I'm thinking I'll have to drop the whole subframe underneath the car to get the tranny out. I know there are numerous people here who have done it, are there any hints to getting the tranny out that will save me loads of time?

The reason I'm taking it out is because my Diff is toast, out of the blue one day it decided to stop working properly. My spider gear with the spline in it is very loose when I move it around in the differential. It seems what's happening is that the gear on the driver side is jumping around causing the car to jerk like crazy, and the CV joints seem to be okay.

Any help would be great.

Yeah, you are gonna have to drop the subframe..and in turn, the y-pipe as well... if you keep trying to drop the tranny without the subframe dropped, you Will waste more time...

Good luck!

Yeah, I will be dropping the sub-frame, looks like it should be easy after that.

I'm also wondering if anybody else has every had this happen with their differential? It seems like such a bizarre thing to happen.

anybody? I'd really like to make sure that's what the issue is before I drop my tranny out

I am having that same exact issue right now, it snaps real hard when accelereating and even when slowing down, it will happen in turns also jerking the car hard, and making it seem like there is play in the steering wheel.

Are the how to's going to be transferred over? I was going to drop the tranny on mine tomorrow but the FAQ's aren't posted here yet. Can anyone help OldSkool and me out?

Last edited:
I am having that same exact issue right now, it snaps real hard when accelereating and even when slowing down, it will happen in turns also jerking the car hard, and making it seem like there is play in the steering wheel.

Are the how to's going to be transferred over? I was going to drop the tranny on mine tomorrow but the FAQ's aren't posted here yet. Can anyone help OldSkool and me out?

You can still access all the how to's that were posted in the forums, and all the information thats there too. Also, if you have access to a lift, you don't need to drop the entire subframe...

At least I know someone else has had or has the same problem as me, that makes me think the tranny is deffinitely the culprit.

I don't have access to a lift and the car is already in pieces, so I guess I'll have to drop the entire subframe assembly, hmmm not fun.

This link to the MTX upgrade how-to (note: does not cover removal, just from the point of removal to the point of replacement.. all parts inside) may come in handy.

Back