• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

locking gas caps

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
I would like to put a locking gas cap on my car just for security. I have come up with STANT brand caps. I guess what I'm looking for is a good quality lock and cap.

i have also been reading that aftermarket gas caps can cause PCM codes. I'm guessing they mess up the way the vapor works.

have any suggestions?

thanks everyone.

-Jon

ok, thanks bud.

just found this, so others know.

"Stant locking gas caps offer OEM quality construction and materials and a famous maker lock cylinder with two keys"

Hey man, let us know if it gives you a CEL, because I have heard that some aftermarket caps do... If it does not, could you post up the exact part number of the cap you bought? I was looking into this too, the plastic latch on my pre98 can not be that hard to break :help:

i ordered Stant part # 11507

i think all 98-2000's use that cap.

from autobarn. use this link to find the one for your car at autobarn.net

http://www.autobarn.net/sophioitem.html?mode=SS&keyword1=Fuel+Tank+Caps this link will take you to Stant products after you put your car info in.

or just goto autobarn.net (i have used the site before) and search "stant"

you can also goto http://www.stant.com/ and use their application guide.

and yes ill let everyone know if i get pcm codes.

Around here the loser thiefs are poking holes in the bottom of tanks and draining them that way. A few months ago my catalytic converter was cut off my F-150!:mad: Had to replace the whole y pipe $1900 insurance paid it minus ded.

I'm more worried about someone putting crap in my gas then it getting stolen.
even though kids doing stuff to my car stopped when i got the svt.
its just going to make me sleep better i night i guess. lol but i do park my car in the garage.

I had a locking gas cap (Stant) on my SVT for years without a CEL. However, I will also state that dealing with the thing was a pain in the posterior. When the lock failed, I had to beat on the thing with a lug wrench to put fuel in the car, and it was a balky hassle most of the time.

Unless you really think someone might actually do something, I would recommend against getting one.

well my gas cap came from Autobarn. what came was NOT Stant but MotoRad brand. i definitely ordered Stant. well before i try and return it is this brand any good??

I'm not familiar with that name.. I don't suppose it was made in China by any chance? Did they charge you the same price as the Stant?

it says "made in USA". but yea i ordered and payed for a stant. even the part # is on my original email receipt. i emailed them about it and they have yet to contact me.

Must say I always liked that the Mystiques gas door could only be opened from the interior. It was kind of annoying the odd time it would freeze shut in the winter, but I never did like the fact that anyone could get into your gas.

So what's your course of action from here Jon?

I'm awaiting word back from Autobarn. I got an email saying that my email was received,
and this is in it. "Priority: Low", lame. I explained to them whats going on so again i guess i have to wait and see if they will send me a Stant brand. If not i will just try this one out.

wow autobarn still has not emailed me back. I'm starting to get pissed and they are going to lose my business for life.

I have a locking gas cap from autozone,I have had no problems!Other than the constant annoyance when filling up at the station,then I remember Cali gas prices are nuts.A worthwhile investment,alot better than someone syphoning your entire tank!:cool:

Back