• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Smoked Taillights?

mattsBLK99cSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I was just wondering if anyone knows what to do when it comes down to "smoking" or "tinting" your taillights. I've seen posts about doing the headlights but i have to get new ones first, there all nasty, so I was wondering if anyone knows what to do so I can get that done for now, thanx

Some people have used Nightshades to tint their tail lights/reflector.
I had my reflector done by a body shop. The Nightshades came out looking like :censored: when I tried it on a spare.

tintedtail3edit.jpg

Still debating om whether to do the tail lights.

It depends on the shop.
You can ask the shop if they will be painting anything black. If so, maybe they can use some of the left over paint and clear to spray your reflector/tails for you. Probably a bit cheaper that way.

Ask/call around and see what prices you get.

i think i may wanna do my lights cuz they look a little plain the way they are. im looking just to have a little black in them to give them some acent but nothing as dark as luca`s....and luca you should do your tails i think it would look even beter.

It's really not as dark as it looks in the picture, you can still see red through it.

I kinda would like to do the tail lights, and make them maybe just a shade or two lighter. Those brake lights aren't all that bright to begin with and I don't want some DB running into me. :help:

It's really not as dark as it looks in the picture, you can still see red through it.

I kinda would like to do the tail lights, and make them maybe just a shade or two lighter. Those brake lights aren't all that bright to begin with and I don't want some DB running into me. :help:

i no i saw yours at carlisle ...they`re still just a tad bit darker then i wanna go

Some people have used Nightshades to tint their tail lights/reflector.
I had my reflector done by a body shop. The Nightshades came out looking like :censored: when I tried it on a spare.

Still debating om whether to do the tail lights.

Then you must have no prepped well or something.

I used nightshades on my rear reflector and lamps. And as long as you do proper paint prep technique nightshades works great!

1) Wet Sand your tail lamps and rear reflector with 2000 grit sand paper until it looks dull but is nice and smooth to the touch (while wet)

2) Tape off the black area around the red part of the lense. Nightshades will look crappy if it gets on the black trim

3) HAND-WIPE your lenses down. The hand is the best tool for getting stuff off the lense. Towels and shammys leave hair and debris on it.

4) Spray in even coats but not fast. Do about 3 or 4 sprays and then wait 5 minutes to dry. Spray until the darkness you want is acquired

5) After letting it dry for 10 - 20 min get out some Duplicolor clear coat. I like duplicolor because it has the wide spray nozzel and will not leave a "canyon pattern" like most conventional spray cans will. Spray your clear coat in even strokes until it has the "wet" look to it.

6) Let dry for a long time, you do not want to mess up at this stage because you will have to start all over again

7) Get some polishing compound ( I like turtle wax) and some wax. Take a diaper cloth and polish the crap outta those lenses. Then wax.

8) Mount and admire. Mine have held up since I did mine in 04' and thats in Texas sun too!
753360_17_full.jpg

Last edited:
Back