• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Do you recommend Fuzion HRi tires?

Lou3

CEG'er
I need tires and don't want to drop Michelin money for a decent set. I've read a lot of good things about Fuzion HRi, but I've also read that their sidewalls are softer than some people prefer. Have you used these tires?

I don't drive hard and don't need ultra performance tires. I want something that has good dry and wet traction, decent snow handling, is quiet, and looks good on the car. Goodyear ComforTreds or Bridgestone Turenza LS-H would be ideal, but I don't want to drop over $100 per tire. I'd like to keep it under $75. What have your heard about Goodyear GT-HR?

Again, I'm not looking for the most awesome tires on the market. My Contour is pretty pedestrian and is driven as such, but I want enough tire for a comfortable, safe ride and some performance potential if I get in a pinch.

Last edited:
Thanks, Big Jim. After more research, I've narrowed it down to the HRi and the Kumho Solus KH16. Decisions...decisions...

I have many friends and they all use hri's on their daily drivers, probably 10 sets I could think of off the top of my head. Had em on the wife's old 96SE and they were great. Used to work for firestone these are very good tires for the price. stay away from the kuhmos or the goodyears

Why do you say to stay away from Kumho?
I'm not sure about that specific tire, but some kumhos are pretty cheap and crappy, others are realllly good. Best just to compare each tire by tirerack reviews,etc. Can't really generalize most brands.

Ive currently got HRIs on my E0 and they are really nice tires and wear nice and even. no complaints. Although if you spend just a tab bit more money you can get the Fuzion ZRI`s which are a bang for the buck. Ive got them on my SVT focus and they are amazing. have lots of grip and are pretty sticky.
so imo go for the ZRI for just a little bit more but you cant go wrong with any FUZION you get.

I had zri's on my awd talon. the only good thing about them is that contrary to what was previously said about sidewall, my pass side rear tire had a nail in it and was totally flat and i didnt realize it for almost a week. even at highway speeds. it didnt start to cup for almost 300 miles. on the other hand when inflated properly they wore very quickly. it was a fairly highly modded dsm (12.30's) i swapped them for eagle ones and liked them much better. i suppose for a d/d they would be alright. mine were 225/40/17's

I had zri's on my awd talon. the only good thing about them is that contrary to what was previously said about sidewall, my pass side rear tire had a nail in it and was totally flat and i didnt realize it for almost a week. even at highway speeds.

Yeah, same thing happened to me with my ZRi's. I had a rear tire that was flat for over a week. My rim had cracked and leaked air. The sidewall was so strong you could drive on it with no problem. Took me a while to notice it.

From what I read in the past though, the HRi didn't get the best reviews compared to other tires similar to it.

I just recently had a tire go, I tried looking for the same tire that was currently on my car (Dayton Datona ZR's) but they didnt make them anymore. I compared the ZRi's to the Daytona's and they are almost exactly the same. I'm pleased with the performance of the ZRi on my car, great traction and cornering.

They do still make the Dayton Daytona ZR. That's what I've got. I had to shop around but once the tire shop I have been buying from realized that I was serious and that I could order them from the local Firestone store they broke down and got them for me. They had them in 1/2 hour.

The tread pattern on the Fuzion Z looks like it may be identical to the Dayton Daytona ZR. The guy at Firestone claimed they were the same tire. I'm not so sure since he was also trying to claim that it was the same as a Bridgestone (070 IIRC), but the Bridgestone web site didn't support that theory.

I forgot about Dayton. Unfortunately, they aren't listed on tirerack.com. Do you know of another site where I can find tire reviews?

I had zri's on my awd talon. the only good thing about them is that contrary to what was previously said about sidewall, my pass side rear tire had a nail in it and was totally flat and i didnt realize it for almost a week. even at highway speeds. it didnt start to cup for almost 300 miles. on the other hand when inflated properly they wore very quickly. it was a fairly highly modded dsm (12.30's) i swapped them for eagle ones and liked them much better. i suppose for a d/d they would be alright. mine were 225/40/17's

Yeah, same thing happened to me with my ZRi's. I had a rear tire that was flat for over a week. My rim had cracked and leaked air. The sidewall was so strong you could drive on it with no problem. Took me a while to notice it.

Umm no. Ya'll just didn't realize it was flat. And sure the sidewall is stiffer than some stupid touring tires but it SUCKS for a performance tire. They're still good tires, but you gotta run more air than usual when doing hard cornering.

The MXs and SPTs are great. ASXs are decent, too. The V710s are amazing, as are the Victoracers I'm running now. The 711s were okay for the money, but the 712s never impressed me.
Yep. I like the victoracers I got right now pretty good. Probably will end up with 710s next.

Umm no. Ya'll just didn't realize it was flat. And sure the sidewall is stiffer than some stupid touring tires but it SUCKS for a performance tire. They're still good tires, but you gotta run more air than usual when doing hard cornering.

Like I said, I didn't notice it was flat. :idea:

I know it's not good for performance. The car was sloppy on the road when it was flat, just wasn't bad enough to cause concern right away.

No, he was saying that the ZRi doesn't have a stiff sidewall. It's pretty darn soft by sporty tire standards. I don't think you really drove with it flat for that long.

Like I said, I didn't notice it was flat. :idea:

I know it's not good for performance. The car was sloppy on the road when it was flat, just wasn't bad enough to cause concern right away.

same for me i also didnt notice it was flat. that was the point of my post. i also agreed that it was a nice daily driver tire but not my first choice for performance.

Back