• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need a PCM code...

SicSE

Veteran CEG'er
... from a non-SVT, 2.5L 'Tour, Mystique, or Cougar with an MTX, return fuel, 17lb injectors, and most importantly, a knock sensor. I saw the list of codes in the sticky here, but they do not specify if there is a knock sensor or not. Help would be greatly appreciated.

are you thinking of swapping pcm's to get a knock sensor? you will need a full engine harness, pcm, two keys, etc .... depending on year ....

are you thinking of swapping pcm's to get a knock sensor? you will need a full engine harness, pcm, two keys, etc .... depending on year ....
I want to program my PCM with a different calibration and this is the only cost-free way, (that I know of), to do it, (with Ford software). The harnesses should be the same, (given the stipulations in my first post), except for the knock sensor... which I've already wired in. The PCM pins should also be the same, (which I'll verify but can't check until I have info from another PCM to compare). Keys & PATS programming won't be a problem for me. :cool:

thats funny because my engine harness doesn't even have the connector for the knock sensor ...

just swap to a SVT pcm and that will take care of alot of things for fairly cheap ...

thats funny because my engine harness doesn't even have the connector for the knock sensor ...
Mine didn't either... I wired it in myself.

just swap to a SVT pcm and that will take care of alot of things for fairly cheap ...
Yeah, no doubt. However, free is even cheaper than cheap, PLUS I figured it would be easier to just get a tear tag number off of anyone's PCM, than to find an SVT PCM for sale.

do you have any notes on wiring in the knock sensor then? I already have an SVT PCM so it sounds like I could wire it in and it would work?

Knock sensor is pin 57 on the PCM connector. I stole a PCM connector pin out of another connector, put it in the empty hole of MY connector, then ran a wire from it to the knock sensor, (I have a few new-style sensors laying around), then ran the ground side to chassis. Normally, the ground runs back through the PCM, but it's not a dedicated ground, so I skipped the splice & just grounded the other side right to chassis.

If you're already running a stock SVT PCM then this should be all you need to do for a functioning knock sensor, as the PCM will already be programmed to "watch" pin 57.

sounds good. which wire is which on the sensor then? als ois the pin for the knock sensor different for different years?

Last edited:
If all else fails i happen to have an SVT PCM . SFG0 i think i can double check tho.
Thanks man, but I'm not sure if the hardware is the same between the SVT & non-SVT PCM. I DO have some 19lb injectors so I might give this a go, as a last resort... is that PCM out of a car with return-style fuel and an MTX-75?

Thanks man, but I'm not sure if the hardware is the same between the SVT & non-SVT PCM. I DO have some 19lb injectors so I might give this a go, as a last resort... is that PCM out of a car with return-style fuel and an MTX-75?

a SFG0 pcm code is good for return fuel system contours from 98.5 thru early/mid 99 ....

all you need to do to swap is install the 19# injectors ...

I am running a SFG0 SVT PCM in my SE ...

Yes. out of a 98 SVT.

tha is most likely a RJL1 PCm and that is only usable in early 98 cars ...

a SFG0 pcm code is good for return fuel system contours from 98.5 thru early/mid 99 ....

I am running a SFG0 SVT PCM in my SE ...

tha is most likely a RJL1 PCm and that is only usable in early 98 cars ...

it might be Rjl1, but SFG0 is sticking in my mind for some reason :shrug:

sounds good. which wire is which on the sensor then? als ois the pin for the knock sensor different for different years?
The factory wiring is white/black from PCM pin 57 to sensor, then brown/yellow from the sensor to a splice into a brown wire which grounds through pin 91 of the PCM.

The 95's show to be pin 23, same wire colors, but all other years for the 'Tour show pin 57, EXCEPT for those manufactured between 3/98, and 5/3/99. The knock sensor is just not shown at all in these schematics. For the 98's, it shows a yellow/green wire from pin 57 that goes to nothing... which is obviously an error because every wire goes SOMEWHERE. Plus, for the early 99's, there is no knock sensor or illustrated wire from pin 57. Though in the connector views it DOES show a white/black wire at pin 57, which would likely apply to SVT's manufactured in the 3/98-5/3/99 time frame.

This could explain the "some have them, some don't" knock sensor issue. We are the bastardized. :blackeye:

Do you know if there are any hardware differences between the regular PCM & SVT PCM? If not, I can just program the SVT calibration into my SE PCM, throw in the 19lb'ers and be done with it.

Do you know if there are any hardware differences between the regular PCM & SVT PCM? If not, I can just program the SVT calibration into my SE PCM, throw in the 19lb'ers and be done with it.

I don't know why you would copy the program to the SE PCM, just swap it out. all you need is the 19# injectors to not get a cel.

Like Brapple said above, Why go through the trouble?

Just hook up the SVT PCM with 19lb injectors and run premium gas. :shrug:

If I HAD an SVT PCM, it would be that simple. I don't, so it's not. Work with me here guys. It's far easier, (and cheaper), to program an already-installed PCM, (like my SE PCM), with an SVT calibration or other knock-sensor equipped calibration, than to buy, install, THEN program a whole other PCM.

I'd rather get a tear-tag off of a non-SVT PCM with knock sensor. I can program MY PCM to be a different PCM with just the tear-tag code. That will be the easiest, cheapest, AND safest route.

If I HAD an SVT PCM, it would be that simple. I don't, so it's not. Work with me here guys. It's far easier, (and cheaper), to program an already-installed PCM, (like my SE PCM), with an SVT calibration or other knock-sensor equipped calibration, than to buy, install, THEN program a whole other PCM.

I'd rather get a tear-tag off of a non-SVT PCM with knock sensor. I can program MY PCM to be a different PCM with just the tear-tag code. That will be the easiest, cheapest, AND safest route.

how is that the safest way :confused:

also I think you would want to stick to the same year for the program to avoid any problems ... and since it seems only SVTs and 98 and old SE have knock sensors your out of luck ...

you know at some point you have to stop being cheap and just pay to do things the right way instead of trying to work around everything ....

how is that the safest way :confused:
It doesn't matter what I say in response to that because you obviously feel differently.

it seems only SVTs and 98 and old SE have knock sensors your out of luck
SOME 98's and SOME 99's are the only 'Tours that DON'T have knock sensors, (see my post with exact dates). That means that later 99's and 00 models DO have a knock sensor.

you know at some point you have to stop being cheap and just pay to do things the right way instead of trying to work around everything ....
Here you go again. The "right way" to do things is completely subjective - we'll get along much better once you realize this. Just because you wouldn't do things the way that I am doing them, doesn't mean that my way is "wrong".

You have posted SEVEN times in this thread... SEVEN!! But not one of your posts has contributed an answer to my question. Aren't moderators suppose to help people keep threads ON-topic? If you can't give me/don't want to help me find, what I seek, that's fine, just don't post.

Now back on topic.
Can anyone get me the tear-tag off of a non-SVT, 2.5L 'Tour, Mystique, or Cougar with an MTX, return fuel, 17lb injectors, and most importantly, a knock sensor?

Back