• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wanna get sound!!!!!

rik98svt

New CEG'er
Yeah I wanna get sound on my 98 contour svt but not too much, just a little V6 sound. I wonder if put a hi-flow catalytic converter will I get sound from the exhaust?? Loud or not enough to be heard???. What do you think about a glassback or a cherry bomb replacing catalytic converter??? CHeapest way possible and I don't give a damn about the performace

Gimme some vids of your setup so I can choose witch one I'll want...

Thanks , sorry if my english isn't great as yours...

Last edited:
Yeah I wanna get sound on my 98 contour svt but not too much, just a little V6 sound. I wonder if put a hi-flow catalytic converter will I get sound from the exhaust?? Loud or not enough to be heard???. What do you think about a glassback or a cherry bomb replacing catalytic converter???

Gimme some vids of your setup so I can choose witch one I'll want...

Thanks , sorry if my english isn't great as yours...

I think Stazi sells Magnaflow equipment. Shoot him a PM & let him know what you're lookin' for. He should be able to help you out. He'll probably suggest a new resonator with your stock mufflers, or more Magnaflow units.

http://www.ctamotorsports.com/indexusa.htm has a few sound files for you to listen to & you can use them as a baseline to get where you want to go.

thank you but i'm from quebec canada so I wanna get the part here so dont have to pay shipping...

well if you remove your res you will pick up a couple hp as well and a little more sound. or you could get the hi-flow cat. i have heard sound is incresed a little.

well if you remove your res you will pick up a couple hp as well and a little more sound. or you could get the hi-flow cat. i have heard sound is incresed a little.

Leaving the stock mufflers and res in place with a high flow cat wont increase sound much. You will get a slight increase in sound if you got a high flow cat and a different resonator, get a cheaper Magniflow muffler to replace the resonator and leave the stock mufflers in place if you want a small increase in sound. If you want a big increase, cut out the resonator and replace it with a straight pipe. You will get a little rasp on a cold start up, but that only lasts 5-10 minutes.

kk I didint know that' we got a converter and and a res.

So an hi flow conv and resonator should be a great sound??

kk I didint know that' we got a converter and and a res.

So an hi flow conv and resonator should be a great sound??

A new hi flow conv will gain you nearly nothing in sound or performance. Leave it alone. The stock converter flows very well too.

1. Check out the sound files on CTA to see what you like. Check the Cougar & Contour sound files on trubendz.com too. Maybe you'll like one of those setups & just buy a complete kit. If not:
2. Remove your resonator under the center of the car, see if you like it. If not:
3. Add a Magnaflow res in its place, see if you like it. If not:
4. Remove the stock mufflers, see if you like it. If not:
5. Install some Magnaflows, Flowmaster, Dynomax Ultraflows, or whatever you like in their place.

enjoy

A new hi flow conv will gain you nearly nothing in sound or performance. Leave it alone. The stock converter flows very well too.

1. Check out the sound files on CTA to see what you like. Check the Cougar & Contour sound files on trubendz.com too. Maybe you'll like one of those setups & just buy a complete kit. If not:
2. Remove your resonator under the center of the car, see if you like it. If not:
3. Add a Magnaflow res in its place, see if you like it. If not:
4. Remove the stock mufflers, see if you like it. If not:
5. Install some Magnaflows, Flowmaster, Dynomax Ultraflows, or whatever you like in their place.

enjoy

thanks you, that's exactly what wanna know...

the best/cheapest way is to put in Summit brand "glasspack/resonator" in place of the factory resonator...they are about 25 bucks...it sounds awesome...I know people will say don't but it is a perfect sound!!! And cheap!

i just ordered a non-res magnaflow from tru bendz. if its to loud/raspy im going to put a glasspack on but how would that sound being after the muffler?

Man oh man you guys are going threw a lot of work and getting rasp for no reason...

This is what you are probably looking for, go to an exhaust shop have them remove the 2 rear mufflers and replace it with a straight pipe...leave the stock rez alone...You willl LOVE the sound:cool:

well ya, except the rez is THE most restrcitive part of the exhaust...the SVT muffler flow pretty well.

don't forget that I dont wanna get pissed off of the sound and I dont want it too loud, just a light smooth sound...

Back