• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

key won't work

SlvrSVT00

Veteran CEG'er
I cannot get my key to open my trunk anymore. It works fine in the doors
is there a quick easy fix for this?
has anyone else had this problem?

ok i will let you know. I am really busy lately so I probably won't dink around with it until i work on my car next week,
but i will keep you posted.

I cannot get my key to open my trunk anymore. It works fine in the doors
is there a quick easy fix for this?
has anyone else had this problem?
On my '95 there is a separate key for the trunk. I never use it because of the remote and the in-car release. Could this be the case with your car?

Mine doesn't work either. I just stick to the button on the remote or the button in the car.

Are you putting the key in upside down? This has happened before to a few people and unless you actually have to use the key you won't really think about it.

My car didn't come with a keyfob!! yeah I dunno why.. I took it to a dealership to see if they could program one for me and they said that my car either didn't come stock with one or that the computer for it is fried.. so i had an aftermarket alarm installed which unlock/locks dorrs but doesn't pop the trunk...

As for the key being 'upside-down' my key is cut on both sides.. but i tryied it both ways anyway.. no luck...

Nice crappy dealer that knows jack squat. I don't know of too many 98's w/o keyless let alone SVT's. Anywho the rear lock on my 96 SE seized up from lack of use. Works fine from the release or keyless. Guess soaking it in lube might work.

Back