• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Car Pics...

WorldTour

I Feel More Like I Do Now Then When I First Got He
So yeah I needed to blow off some steam & get rid of some stress so I decided to pick up my first Nitro R/C Car. I used to race Semi-pro 1/10th Scale Electric Buggies so I'm not stranger to the R/C Hobby, but this is my first Nitro car so be gentle! LOL

Details:
1/8th Scale OFNA Ultra LX One RTR 4WD Buggy
Force .28 Nitro Engine,(2.7hp at 38,000rpm)

here she is:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nice stuff....

100_5047.jpg

I have the same thing, LX1 but I replaced the force 28 with a STS D28M.

First mod you NEED to do is put some 30k diff fluid in the center diff and 10k front 3k rear. WOT the fronts will just unload and spin, the center fluid helps all 4's dig in, and dig in big time. With my STS I can get wheelies off the line.

First mod you NEED to do is put some 30k diff fluid in the center diff and 10k front 3k rear. WOT the fronts will just unload and spin, the center fluid helps all 4's dig in, and dig in big time. With my STS I can get wheelies off the line.

I have 30k in the center and 10k at both ends currently, my issue(s) at the moment is the pull start which will be gone by the weekend, the steering servo is to weak and the rear shocks need heavier springs and I am going to increase the oil weight a bit. I'm pulling the JR FM radio out of my Yokomo MX-4 World Edition and dropping it in this along with a spare heavy duty servo I have.

Yea, the servos suck BIG time. I replaced both with hitec 645MG the day I got it, I broke it in with stock servos, barley turned and hardly had brakes at all.

Whats wrong with the pullstart? once its broke it it should start 1-2 pulls (providing its primed) Not sure what you mean with the rear springs. I race mine and they're tightened down a little bit and I've never had any problems.

Mine is already having problems locking up mid-pull, common issue with the Force .28 pull start.

The car has to much squat under accel and deloads to quickly under decel, with the springs tightened down the car bounces and becomes unstable on washboard type surfaces, none of which is good handling characteristics.

-Mark

Weird, Never had that problem with my force pullstart. It did, however get mashed up against the manifold and melt the cord, after that I bumped it, but 2-3 tanks later I replaced the motor.

I haven't driven it in awhile but I know what your talking about squatting to much under accell. Mine are tighten down about in between 1/2 and 1/4 right now, It seems perfect on the track, if i tighten it up to much more it did what you said, and it also made it lift the fronts up coming hard out of corners. The motor really has to much power for a buggy.

I loved my GS storm pro I had. I had a Force .21 in it. The pull starter kept slipping so I would have to sand the shaft on it to get it to stick. They are fun though. I am into the touring cars now. I got a TC4 that I race around here, except I blew a CVD out of it. Damn 8 turn motor.
BTW Mark, want to sell the Yokomo? I cant seem to find one in good shape.

8 turn motor? What do the batteries last, about 5 minutes? :laugh: I have a TC3 somewhere. I think I had a 13 turn triple if I remember correctly. I needed a new radio and had some suspension problems last time I checked. I should get back into rc cars :)

Ya, a Reedy hand turned 8 turn. I use a 3400 pack I made back in the day. They last about 7-8 minutes if I am racing. Just enough time :)

Nice, where are you guys getting parts? Do you just shop the local hobby shops or do you buy parts online? I originally bought my XXT Team Losi truck from a hobby store locally that was used for $50 :) Came with a nice body, and the steering servo. I need to find another one or something because my differential is toast on that one, have tried rebuilding it with no luck.

I have also used towerhobbies.com before.

Nice car mark, I bought an ofna ultra mbx pro from Horse a little over a year ago. I think it's got the .26 motor but i'm not sure. I haven't used it in a while. I need some parts for it. The muffler is shot, and the front supports for the suspension are bent due to excessive rolling :laugh:

I was thinking about doing a street conversion to it since i don't use it off road. and so i could put a nicer body on it. but as it stands now, with street tires is drifts really nice! the kids around here with their .18's hate me because i just destroy them! lol!

I hate the pull start...it takes way too many pulls to get it started. Also, when the car is hot, say like i run out of gas or something, it makes it even harder to get it started. But, the car won't idle very long either...if i'm running it and make it come to a stop it'll die after a few seconds. So that might have something to do with it. I know it's running pretty rich. some fuel/oil splattered down the side after a run. I really haven't had time to mess with it much though. I want a roto start either way.

Oh, and be sure to keep the grub screws tight on those hubs that the driveshafts connect to! I find they like to come loose quite often...one flew off one time, got thrown a good 30 feet. didn't think i'd be able to find it. made a terrible noise too, though i broke the car!

the kids around here with their .18's hate me because i just destroy them! lol!
:shrug: they either dont know how to tune or there just crappy 18s. I have .12s that would murder a force 26.

If it doesn't start in 1-2 pulls you either didnt prime it right, didn't break it in right, or the glow plug is dying or the glow ignitor needs recharged

I loved my GS storm pro I had. I had a Force .21 in it. The pull starter kept slipping so I would have to sand the shaft on it to get it to stick. They are fun though. I am into the touring cars now. I got a TC4 that I race around here, except I blew a CVD out of it. Damn 8 turn motor.
BTW Mark, want to sell the Yokomo? I cant seem to find one in good shape.

Yeah I'd probably sell it minus electronics, I also have an older YZ-10 N-Model (Import, not sold in the US) & a Yokomo YR-4 Sport Sedan that I'd possibly be interested in parting with... but we can take that to PMs and get back on topic.

I ran about a gallon through the LX yesterday doing all of the break-in on our private track, now I'm looking for a nice open gravel/dirt lot to do some WOT tuning as well as some toe, camber, shock tuning.

-Mark

:shrug: they either dont know how to tune or there just crappy 18s. I have .12s that would murder a force 26.

If it doesn't start in 1-2 pulls you either didnt prime it right, didn't break it in right, or the glow plug is dying or the glow ignitor needs recharged

i didn't do the break in...i bought the car used.

as far as priming, I normally pull the hose off the fuel tank and blow into it until the air bubbles are out of the line going up to the motor.

i don't know much about tuning these things...but i know the glow plug is fine. and i have extra's.

i probably should change the fuel lines as they are old and possibly gummed up a bit on the inside.

when i got the car i took it to the local hobby shop and the guy there was very helpful and informative. he tweaked a few things for me with the steering and said as far as he could tell the car was in good shape. And, i should add...when he had the car there he could get it to start with only a couple pulls, so it's probably just me being a 'tard. In fact, i took it back to him saying i couldn't get the damn thing started and he put it up on the table and had it running in like 3 pulls. either way i want a roto start. i'm not into it for the hobby part of it. it's just an occasional fun toy.

Well I already broke it... went to warm it up today and it popped the glow plug out, had to order a new engine button from Force/OFNA. To bad because it won't be here til weds and I fly back to LA on monday and won't be back up to run it until August. :cry:

Did you tighten the glow plug to tight? The only time I've had a plug blow out is when I stripped the whole the JB welded a plug in there to fart around with on the weekend. It lasted a good 4-5 tanks then blew the plug about 25ft in the air WOT.. Funny as hell to see!

yeah it was tight, but I wouldn't say it was over torqued. It took all threads with it. it was idling and as soon as I hit the gas after putting the body on BOOM. The glow plug shot 25-30ft in the air. I took the opportunity to pull he car down to bare chassis tonight and start redoing things my way. stainless steel screws, titanium turn buckles, OFNA mid range tune pipe and silicone intake tube added a fuel filter with primer, the shock valves, oil & springs are all being changed. I added some extra lexan ducting from the fuel opening to funnel air to the head, lock tight all of the worm screws in the drivetrain, etc. Should be a better overall car once I get the engine back together.
-Mark

Last edited:
Back