• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Premium Gasonline. Whats in your tank?

Shell V-Power

Shell V-Power

Always.. Shell V-Power... Nothing different since I bout the car! And I am really weird about filling at half tank not empty... heard someone mention that its better? its hard to break funny lil habits I guess!

><)))+>:shrug:

On these cars its not a funny little habit. It's what should be done! The fuel pumps are cooled by the liquid gasoline in the tank. When you run your tank low, the pump doesn't have the ability to disipate heat as effectively. This will cause it to run hotter and lead to premature failure.

Something that is not taken in to consideration when this topic comes up too is that the fuel companies for the last 5 or so years have been adding ethenal to all grades of gas to the tune of at least 10% or more, and calling it an additive. At this % they do not have to tell you that it is in there but it will in that amount effect your fuel milage, for the worst.
No. The gas with (atleast any significant amount, 10% or more) says it at the pump. Atleast here.

The only gas I've had problem with is premium from wal-mart when my zetec was chipped. Ran like crap that whole tank.
Now, I just try to go to newer stations. For the most part, I usually go to a chevron near my house. Occasionally go to the shell across the street from it. When travelling, I just go to whatever place is cheapest, sometimes even wal mart if it's a good bit cheaper.

No. The gas with (atleast any significant amount, 10% or more) says it at the pump. Atleast here.

Same in Iowa... the regular unleaded 87 octane ((R+M)/2) did not have ethanol and cost about 2-5 cents more per gallon than the 89 octane with ethanol. Premium also had ethanol, but was obviously more expensive.

Do you guys feel that the shell vpower is worth it? THe reason why I even made this thread was because I was researching Vpower via the internet and I found an article about a guy using shell vpower in a small 1.6 liter somthing and ending up getting 4mpg increase overall compared to 87.

My experience tells me no, it is not worth paying extra for the Shell gas. It's hard to argue with test/experimental results, however if even the ambient temperature changes in a test like this using a small car & a 1.6L engine, that temp change could account for much of that gain in fuel mileage.

I suggest you experiment for yourself. If you're already buying the Shell gas, it won't cost you any extra to experiment with another tank of fuel and compare it to others.

i posted this before and i'm sure that some discussion that needs this scan will come up in this thread :rolleyes:

SVTscan.jpg

Octane

Octane

So I might be getting a Svt contour :cool: now most gas stations neer me sell 87, 89 and 93 :rolleyes: I know it needs premium but should I shortchange it the 2 octane or up it 2 octane? Its bad either way so im leaning towards the cheaper one.

If the engine adjusts to lower octane fuel by detecting engine knocks, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Not to save $5 a tank.

This is an argument against using fuel with an octane rating of lower than 91 I've read here a lot. Ideally, you don't want your knock sensor to have to detect anything.

To me, an important rule of car ownership is to drive something you can comfortably afford, premium fuel (if recommended) and all. I believe that not being able to afford your car in the first place will cost you much more in the long run -- by skimping on maintenance, not using proper fuel, stretching out repairs, etc. I see this as a problem for Contours because the purchase price is disproportionately low to the maintenance/driving costs for a vehicle of its type. They're half the price of a V6 Accord, but probably cost roughly the same to run, which is high compared to many compacts. Driving a SVT Contour probably has a 10%-15% overall premium over other Contours -- pulled that number out of my ass, but it sounds good considering fuel, parts, insurance, etc... ;)

A lot of people fall into this trap with old bmw's and Acuras -- the purchase price is low, but the cost to drive them remains high.

Last edited:
I use 93 octane almost always from Mobil. I guess I'm a little biased because the station by my house is pretty nice and easy to get in and out of. It also is nice knowing that they have 93 octane instead of 91 or 92. To each his own! :D

Its not that I cant afford it btu ive been reading all the arguments and it seems upping the octane is just as bad as lowering it? and since its a +2,-2 difference Im just confused :nonono:

... Do you guys think that shell V-power is better gas? I guess it has like cleaning additives in the gas that other grades do not have as much of. Is it worth it?

Some CEGers (IIRC, Y2KSVT and AncientSanskrit) have reported better fuel mileage and performance with Shell. I think it could be that the additives and detergents work better with our Contours.

Its not that I cant afford it btu ive been reading all the arguments and it seems upping the octane is just as bad as lowering it? and since its a +2,-2 difference Im just confused :nonono:

My understanding is that there's no issue using 93 or 94 octane in a SVT Contour and it's better to do so than to use 89 or 87 octane.

Thank you very much I was looking for a answer like that. I want my car running its best
My understanding is that there's no issue using 93 or 94 octane in a SVT Contour and it's better to do so than to use 89 or 87 octane.

The car was designed to run premium (91 octane or better). So running a bit above 91 is OK. Running below it can be OK on SOME SVTs. On some it will produce detonation and decreased performance.

Back