• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car gets warmer with A/C on in traffic.

SVTLAY

CEG'er
So lately i've noticed that my car starts to pass the m on normal when i am running the ac on in hot texas traffic. It gets all the way to the L just never really overheats. If i turn off the a/c it will go back to RM after a while. I just recently replaced the fans and the temp sending unit. If it is not to hot or i am crusing at high speeds on the highway i am fine. I have noticed a clanking noise that someone told me he thinks its the clutch on the ac going bad. I think he may be right cause i hear the noise when the a/c is off but when i turn it on it goes away. So what i am trying to say would a bad clutch on the a/c cause my car to over heat or should i start looking at other things. I also just recently had a mechanic change the alternator could he have messes something up also? Any suggestions will help thanks.

If you have access to a real time scanner, go that route first. Get the real time temperature per the PCM. It could be that the gauge temperature sender is not as "sensitve".

When the A/C is on, 90 outside, and the engine is warmed up (near the M), you should have fast radiator fan speed that cycles to low speed. I never had the high speed come on for me until the very hot weather. Be sure both fans are running (both run slower/faster together) How old is the waterpump, known to fail early in 1998-older Contours.

I have replaced the water pump twice but it has been a few years. I haven't changed the coolant in like a year in a half so was going to do that in the next few days. Other than that the fans all do come on. I know its really hot outside and our cars are prone to high temps and i got a 3L but just don't think its normal.

If you have access to a real time scanner, go that route first. Get the real time temperature per the PCM. It could be that the gauge temperature sender is not as "sensitve".

I will be taking it to my mechanic just wanted to check with the contour gurus so i can have a heads up. I don't really have any fancy tools: (

Have you still got the original SVT radiator? It has more capacity than the "regular" 2.5 radiator.

I will be taking it to my mechanic just wanted to check with the contour gurus so i can have a heads up. I don't really have any fancy tools: (

Wow!.. You will take your car to mechanic just because the temp gauge goes over M?
My gauge shows around "A" and if it is the heat of the summer it hangs around "L" and a few times it almost past the "L".
Been driving it like that for 9 years if it's going to make you feel better. And Nothing happened...

Inaccurate temp gauge is not uncommon on contours.

Good luck with the mechanic.

Wow!.. You will take your car to mechanic just because the temp gauge goes over M?
My gauge shows around "A" and if it is the heat of the summer it hangs around "L" and a few times it almost past the "L".
Been driving it like that for 9 years if it's going to make you feel better. And Nothing happened...

Inaccurate temp gauge is not uncommon on contours.

Good luck with the mechanic.

I know it may sound silly but i get really paranoid. My mechanic is really reliable and he won't screw me over to since i have been doing business with for a while. He is the one that installed my 3L and he used to work for ford before he opened up his own shop. You probably are right and i think i will wait on this cause most of the time it runs great its just when i get stuck in rush hour traffic and its really hot outside.

One thing to keep in mind (caps are intentional):

IF IT READS IN THE "NORMAL" RANGE, IT IS CONSIDERED TO BE NORMAL.

The high speed fan circuit should come on at around 215-220F. Check to see if it works.

Steve

So a bad clutch won't put extra stress on the motor and cause it to over heat or does it just engage the a/c?

A bad clutch would only affect the ac working correctly. It wouldnt put any extra heat related stress on the engine.

Go down the additives aisle at Autozone or walmart and you'll see the coolant efficiency boosters. Basically they help the coolant work better at exchanging heat with the metal and you can notice the difference in the peak summer heat.

Before you mess with additives, change the coolant first. Then,

One thing to keep in mind (caps are intentional):

IF IT READS IN THE "NORMAL" RANGE, IT IS CONSIDERED TO BE NORMAL.

The high speed fan circuit should come on at around 215-220F. Check to see if it works.

Steve

Back