• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How do I remove the chrome trim from ...

rk2k2

CEG'er
the grill and rear taillight without breaking them? I intend to send those, the SVT emblem, and the trim inside the headlights (and maybe the reflectors too) out to be black nickle plated. it would be nice to know in advance before I attempt to remove them so I don't ruin them.

when i pulled my rear chrome trim off the taillight i just use a small screw driver and just worked my way down.

man i saw this on " how its made" on tv they like dip it in like 6-7 tanks with different chems. in it then they copper plate it so they can put a elec. charge and then they dipp it and the charge attracts it. But i think they were doing something other than nickel......:shrug:

Last edited:
I haven't a clue how it is done but I am suspect the process is quite similar to how you chrome plastic. Which btw, already includes nickel plating. (copper -> nickel -> chromium). Good chrome parts need only have the chromium layer removed exposing the nickel layer and they go from there. Raw plastic need only be made conductive (the copper layer)

At least thats what I have learned in about an hour of googling and browsing websites (mostly searching for black chrome platers and identyifying those that do plastic). Once I found the company, I've learned that true black chrome is pretty much like black powder coat (some Kawasaki m/c's in the 80's had blk chrome exhaust). The 'black chrome' (like on my old bicycle) and what a lot of people calll black chrome is actually black nickel.

Back