• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Talk About Serious Lighting!!

thats close to being the dumbest ish i've ever seen-- looks like his wiring went all bad and they are just going crazy rofl-- he must have some self control or else he'd be getting police impersonation about everyday

That's pretty cool... imagine if you're wandering around a car show and see a car that has this stuff going on...

To me, it looks like he either built a board with a bunch of relays and maybe an IC programmed or wired up (whatever kind of cool guy he is) to do different things like that.

I had a multi-config police flasher on my 96GL that had these states:

● Single flash (about 90 flashes per minute)
● Double flash (about 40 flashes per minute)
● Both flash (about 110 flashes per minute)
● Combonation of all 3 above in order (for about 10-15 seconds each) plus a faster single flash (140 flashes per minute)

The system had it where there were 4 control wires coming out of the box (obviously in addition to the 2 power wires and 8 headlamp wires, extra wire being for high beam override that will disable the flasher if you turn on your high beams).

Factory config was wires 1-3 shorted and 2-4 shorted. You would cut their wires and crimp longer wires to 2 switches mounted on your light control box. You would put wires 1 and 3 on SW1, 2 and 4 on the SW2. That way you would get something similar to this with the switches:

● SW1 off / SW2 off = Single flash
● SW1 on / SW2 off = Double flash
● SW1 off / SW2 on = Both flash
● SW1 on / SW2 on = Combonation flash

Of course, there is another switch, probly SW3 that is in series with the input power to this device (no high current here, the high current only passes thru the 8 headlamp wires, everything else is low current control, kinda like the remote lead that turns on an amp... it gives low current to a big NO relay inside the amp that closes with the current from the HU and allows the high current from the battery to flow).

It's pretty easy to do what he did if you can program an IC (integrated circuit).

So build a box that has an IC that has the ability to switch 20 things (kinda like having 20 relays that only have a NO contact) that gets it's input signal from either switches and/or and IC that was programmed to do all this. A few switches before the IC that provides the input signal to the "relay" IC could do like the bullets above and do certain things with certain switch positions (like his "combonation" the video shows by having both switches on).

You'd then hook that each activate some sort of low current on/off setup (probly an IC) that has 20 inputs and 8 ouptuts that in turn would activate one high-current NC relay per light (in his case 8) that is hooked to where the relay's output to the lamp is the common terminal, constant power from battery to the NO, and power from the switch side of the lamp's wires you cut to the NC terminal.

You hook the switch side of the lamp's wires to the NC contact so that when you have this fancy flasher off, all your lamps will function normally.

You can leave constant +12V at the NO contact because if this unit is switched off, the 12V will end right at the contact and not make it to the lamp unless the unit is on and activates the relay to flash the light, or the relay is broken, which would be easy to figure out since you would have 1 light on at all times!

You could accomplish this w/o using ICs at all, but you're going to end up with like 50-100 low current relays and the 8 high current relays to do the same thing as 2 ICs (pretty much internally are switches and relays) and 8 high current relays!

Relays are your friend! BTW, 'NO' means 'Normally Open' and 'NC' means 'Normally Closed'

I've always wanted the blinking lights to impersonate a police car. For offroad use only of course :D

Back