• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tune Up?

sinisterfuzzy

New CEG'er
Hello, i just got a contour sport from a "friend" and to be honest i can't trust anything that he says anymore so i thought i'd come here. He gave me the car for $400 and my totalled Civic Si. But anyways, i never saw it til the day i recieved it, he told me that it was in perfect condition and ran perfect. but i get it, theres a huge crack on the windshield, dents in one of the quarter panels, and it stalls or something. He told me that it needs oil change "really bad" and plugs/wires. I think it needs much more, the car has 171,xxx miles, and it just runs really bad. So, lets assume the worste of this car, and i'm pretty much forced to get a tune-up and get it fixed up. So i'm wondering, what all should I replace? I think the fuel filter or something is really clogged or something, cuz the car acts like it's out of gas when it says i have a 1/4 tank left. I dont know, basically throw out the "get rid of it and get something different" stuff out of the way cuz that's just not an option right now, this car needs to last me a while. What all should i replace? Thankyou

-Jord

wellcome. look. i guess it will be nice if you change several things. sparkplugs, cables, air filter, oil, oil filter. your belts also might be a good idea. gas filter...yes, why not. its cheap and easy to do. that's just regular maintenance that this guy probably did not do. drive it for a week or so, and see if you get any check engine light. if you do, come back here, and the guys serfing this forum are very helpful and will always try to help...
as far as your stalling, well it can be caused by many things.

i think the stalling stuff, is just the result of a clogged fuel filter, and i already have a check engine light lol. So, i think i'll probly just replace as much stuff as i can and hope it gets me around. and i've been looking at autoparts warehouse for replacement parts.

If your SVT is a late 99 or an 00 you may have a plugged filter screen on the fuel pump module in the fuel tank. Find the FAQ for replacing the pump, find the very last picture on the page and that's the filter screen that is likely causing your problem with engine stumble with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. Take the filter screen out and throw it away. You don't need it. It is too small and too fine. There is a conventional sock filter inside the pump module anyway.

well usually you should tell us what the check engine code is:)) then people will be able to give you a more detailed ideas. :) and yeah. knowing the car, engine and type of tranny is always helpful.

Welcome to the Forums.
This should be your number 1 resource for turning that piece of junk into something driveable, into something that runs nicely.

My suggestion is to check out the Maintenece FAQ, and have MOST of it done ASAP. Start by doing plugs, wires, fuel filter, and see.

Next, for replacement parts to your engine that are probably bad or on their way out, hit up your local junk yard, especially a pull it yourself yard because you'll get better replacement parts for dirt cheap.

Try doing a UIM/LIM rebuild when you can, just to help the engine pull and respond better (it's easier than it sounds, especially with the FAQ). Once you get through that you should be in good shape to restore the car to good driveable condition.

P.S. If you have a check engine light on, POST THE CODES, we'll explain and explain fixes for you. :) Hope you find this useful.

it's not an SVT it's just a contour sport could that still be the problem

Welcome to the CEG.

What year is the car and automatic or manual trans?
That information will help us help you get the car back into better running condition.

it's an SE Sport and a automatic transmission. I dont know what you mean by check engine codes, and UIM/LIM Build. i'll try to get some video of how it's running up too if i find some time.

aight i got the codes checked out here they are

P0420
Catalyst Efficiency
Below Threshold
(Bank 1)

P0455
EVAP Emission
Control System
Leak (Large)

P0401
EGR Flow
Insufficient

P0402
EGR Flow
Excessive

and how do i do an oil change on this thing?

The cat effeciency code may be a false code so ignore it for now.

The egr low flow is very likey plugged EGR passages in the intake manifold. The part the plugs is behind the throttle body. Remove the throttle body and throttle body gasket and clean out the passages. You will probably need a new gasket.

The egr excessive flow is probably the DPFE sensor. Actually, check this out before messing with the one above.

Evap leak means that the fuel tank is venting all the time. It could be a loose gas cap or even a bad gas cap. It could also be a broken hose in the vent system or even a defective vent valve.

Back