• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear spindle onto the strut.

Tourige

CEG's Resident Jackass
Installing a new Koni sport kit. Anyone got any advice for getting the rear spindle onto the strut?

It just dosent seem to be going on. The strut is on the perch, and when we jack up the control arms it pushes the spindle just on the strut, but then the strut dosent go into the spindle, no matter the amount of bashing or how high you jack up the control arms.

hit the spindle from underneat. i used a 5lb mallet to tap the spindle from below up onto the strut. make sure everything is lined up evenly. i think i rested the strut on that little shelf(i dont know how to describe it). i put a small block of wood on the shelf then the strut has the metal protruding that will catch the shelf. so the strut is now resting higher and u can raise the spindle up and with someone holding it lined up, slowly tap it in. i sprayed silicone on the strut bottom and spindle bore to make it slide easier. u have to raise the strut until it wont move up then the spindle will want to slide onto the strut since the strut is no longer going up

or you can try and install the knuckle/spindle onto the strut before installing the strut... that may make it much easier.

My fronts went on with a little mallet "tapping", but the rears... I had to beat the hell out of them. :shrug:

i didnt undo my rear control arms when i did my suspension. when i tried it with the control arms undone, i couldnt get the control arms lined up again. it was a pain in the a$$. so i was prying down the knuckle with the control arms still attached and raised the strut like i said then released the knuckle slowly til the strut sat on the knuckle hole and tapped from below. was actually quite easy.

Back