• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

contour DLR lights

realslimshaver

New CEG'er
hi all... i am now a former contour owner and i was wondering if someone could help me...I sold my 95 contour back in June and now drive a 2002 VW Jetta TDI. i am interested in how the DRL system worked in the contour... i believe that the high beams were run in series when used as daytime running lights. Then in parallel when used as high beams... I am interested in converting my lights in my Jetta to do the same thing... the Jetta uses a Duel filament low and high beam bulb(9007), and as it is now the DLRs are just the low beams on with out any running lights... so this means that i go threw the low beam part of the headlight fast yet the high beam gets nearly unused.

I assume that this is accomplished threw some sort of relay or series of relays but I gave my haynes and my ford cd to the person I sold the car to. Does anyone have wiring diagrams for the headlights that they could post up or give me a link to? Or does any more info about how it works.

Thank you

I believe the ones sold in Canada, where he is from, did. I think it's a law to have them there. I had DRLs in my 98 Mystique. All it took was a $21 DRL relay.

Sorry, I don't have any wiring diagrams of how they work.

they use a relay that powers the high beams at half power when the ignition is on and the low beams are off, kinda like how the fog lamps can only be turned on when the low beams are on and not the high beams ...

well i think i am just going to go to the junk yard and get the relay and see if i can figure it out. could someone look in there manuel and tell me what relay number it is. any one able to scan there haynes manual wiring diagram for the headlights...
thank you

Last edited:
As I have said many times before, a Haynes manual IS NOT going to help you with electrical issues.

The Haynes manual was brought over nearly identical to the UK Mondeo manual they have.

They did not realize that there is a LOT different between a Contour and Mondeo. Most mechanical stuff is identical, but everything else is hit or miss (mostly miss).

For example... ever seen dim/dip headlights on a Contour? Headlight washers? Heated windshield?

Grab the Haynes manual and follow the directions on R&R Headlight Switch to a T... bet you break your headlight switch! It instructs you to take a screwdriver and pry the switch out from the front... WAY different than how ours is secured.

And if you want to debate on the wiring in the engine fuse box (which, btw, is where all the headlight wires are located on a Contour)... Colors are totally different than what is listed in the book. I have ripped the box out/apart looking for a major short in my 96 GL... it's not the same as in the book.

To top it off... The Chilton manual isn't much help either with it's vague diagrams that only show major components.

Pretty much, get the Ford CD (except my 98 one doesn't have nearly as much info as others :mad: )

Back