• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My 65mm TB

mosh

CEG'er
So I'm almost done with my 3.0L. One of the many things I've worked on to prepare the car for the bigger motor is the TB. I picked up a 65mm TB from a late 90s Mercury V8 at a local U-Pull-it for about $12.

I read the many posts and debates on how best to do a 65mm TB and was amazed at the wide variety of approaches. I did not want to have to go anywhere, buy any tool or pay anyone else to get this done, so I opted for what seems like the easiest way to do this by using my SVT shaft and just enlarging the opening to fit the wider 65mm plate. I had already optimized it as a 60mm, so the front half of the shaft was already gone, and I just widened it.

Two issues remain after the plate is mounted: How to stop the throttle, and the possiblility of a poor vacuum seal on the shaft. The pic shows my simple but effective throttle stop. I put in new O-rings on the shaft, but vacuum issue is still a possibility as the O-ring position on the SVT shaft is at the edge of the 65mm bearing....we'll see how this plays out.

Here's a good shot of the stop from above:

DSCN2254.jpg

Here's the TB from the front:
DSCN2252.jpg

On Manifold:
DSCN2256.jpg

Yes....It's an SVT manifold despite the badging. I try to be a bit stealth and these plaques are easy to get.

there's other ways of stopping the linkage,but that works too. i'm also currently sporting the svt linkage in the 65mmtb,much easier.

It's a "wrinkle paint" for valve covers and such. Thought I'd give it a try as my original coating was dull.

will that tb work on the non svt intake mani? and what other modifications were needed toput that on?

will that tb work on the non svt intake mani? and what other modifications were needed toput that on?

It can but if you have a 2.5L. DO not do it, first you must buy it. Then cut down a tab. Get new IM gasket. So now your up to $40
Then port the opening of the UIM which means you have to remove it, port it to a 65mm. Then put it on your car which the intake hose won't fit. :shrug:

Then you would lose all the power you had and gain nothing.:cool:

It can but if you have a 2.5L. DO not do it, first you must buy it. Then cut down a tab. Get new IM gasket. So now your up to $40
Then port the opening of the UIM which means you have to remove it, port it to a 65mm. Then put it on your car which the intake hose won't fit. :shrug:

Then you would lose all the power you had and gain nothing.:cool:
which is so wierd b/c on my probe gt w/the 2.5L going from stock 60mm to 65mm there was a gain of 5whp 7wtq:shrug:

which is so wierd b/c on my probe gt w/the 2.5L going from stock 60mm to 65mm there was a gain of 5whp 7wtq:shrug:

Different engine:shrug:

He has a 50mm for a stock tb then going to a 65 is kinda ahuge jump imho.

Chris post a graph can you?

I was looking at the linkages on both 65mm tb's I grabbed and it looks like there's no good way to use the linkage that's on it already.

Once i'm done with the trans upgrade and whatnot i'll get some pics up of my 65mm tb...

I was looking at the linkages on both 65mm tb's I grabbed and it looks like there's no good way to use the linkage that's on it already.

Once i'm done with the trans upgrade and whatnot i'll get some pics up of my 65mm tb...

take a pic and post it :)

We can help you from there.

Take a top pic and a front view picture.

Back