• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

checking for a quaife or torsen

95pgt-t

Hard-core CEG'er
i'm looking at buying another svt,in the ad its listed as having a quaife installed,he has no reciepts though. so besides trying to lay two patches and risk grendaing a possible stock diff,is there a way to check?

i'm looking at buying another svt,in the ad its listed as having a quaife installed,he has no reciepts though. so besides trying to lay two patches and risk grendaing a possible stock diff,is there a way to check?

pop an axle out and check

Someone might correct me on this but I believe that if you jack the car up and spin one of the wheels, if the other spins the same way it was a quaife, if not it has the stock diff.

Someone might correct me on this but I believe that if you jack the car up and spin one of the wheels, if the other spins the same way it was a quaife, if not it has the stock diff.

Doesnt work w.out load

If your old car didn't have a quaife, then you will def notice this one will after driving it around. Just rev it out of first gear to 7k rpms if it pulls hard to the right, then it has a stock diff. If it pulls pretty much straight then it has one:cool:

wow... quite a scientific approach, there, Harrry. Also very good for your car, too.. bravo!

:-\

I guess its just me but I dont notice a difference between driving my svt (with quaife) and my girlfriends cougar (stock diff). They seem to be the same to me but then again I dont drive my cars hard.

Going to revive this thread....

I have both axels pulled and can see light thru the trans.

Would that fully indicate whether or not it is quaife/torsen or stock?

It was part of a parts-car I bought and was told it was an HMS trans with quaife.

Going to revive this thread....

I have both axels pulled and can see light thru the trans.

Would that fully indicate whether or not it is quaife/torsen or stock?

It was part of a parts-car I bought and was told it was an HMS trans with quaife.

depends. the stock diff would have just a pin in the center of the openning, anything should be more closed in.

thats funny, mine will turn in the same direction with the quaife when its off the ground ...

Could be the difference between a torsen and a quaife.

That is how it should work.... just like a standard Posi/Traction Lock on a rear diff.
I drove a quaife equipped Focus & it's really neat!!

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/differentials/diffs.htm

It's not posi, it could very well not be the same.

My trans is currently torn apart, I can see the Torsen sitting on the bench but my wheels never both turned the same direction when on jackstands. But... You guys can hypothesize all you want

Okay, I have pictures that will be uploaded this evening, if necessary.

Brapple, I think I know what you are talking about from seeing pics of the stock, open diffs.

If I were to look into a stock trans thru the openings where the the axels are fitted, I would see a narrow cylendar or bar going throught the center of the differential.

Much like this image on the left....http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/1186/dsc07319cr7.jpg

Now, when I look into my trans I DO NOT see this bar crossing the opening. I have a perfectly round opening in the center of my diff, and I can see clear thru the diff. Keep in mind my viewpoint from either side of the car. The round opening in the center of my differential is about half the diameter of axels. Probably, ~1/2 inch around.

So, it appears that I do have an upgraded diff.

Im pretty much just looking for some confirmation if anyone can provide it. When I was driving it, it did feel different, especially accelerating out of turns as mentioned.

Pictures, as promised.

That black circle in the center, if I were to place a light source on the other side of the trans there would be no obstruction of view through that space.

That is a torsen and some dirty ass trans fluid. I installed a torsen in my car and when I spin one wheel the other spins the opposite direction - like it should. These need load to be applied to them - the limited slip in the back of my F150 4X4 is a clutch style - so both spin at the same time. The front limited slip in the front is a worm gear style and one spins one direction while the other spins opposite direction. They need load on them to work how they are supposed to.

As for doing a 7k rpm launch and seeing if it pulls or not that doesn't hold ANY water. My car did that horribly when my tire pressures were off - as it will on any car open or limited slip. Doing a burnout doesn't mean anything either - here is an open diff..

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/D3thM3tal/?action=view&current=CLIP0049.flv

Only positive way to check is pulling the axle -

Back