• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Charging Problem

SvtBob

New CEG'er
Hi Gang,

Having a charging problem and wanted to get some advice.

99 SVT Contour.

Battery Charging light on steady. Replaced the battery and replaced the alternator with brand new ones. Checked the Mega Fuse and it tests good.

Car will start with the battery charged but eventually will die after 15 minutes as I am not getting 14v to the battery.

The F5 15Amp fog light fuse is GOOD and voltage is measuring across the top of the fuse, but the Fog Lights DO NOT work.

My next thought is the fog light relay to get the lights working but I am curious if this relay being bad would also affect the charging system?

I have looked at the wiring diagrams and it looks like a logical next step to replace the fog light relay. BTW where might this relay be? I found a white relay attached to the wiring harness just downline from the light switch behind the dash.

Thanks Gang,

Any input would help.

Bob

Where did you get the wiring diagrams? Are there any here onsite?

The F5 15Amp fog light fuse is GOOD and voltage is measuring across the top of the fuse, but the Fog Lights DO NOT work.

An internal BJB failure of the F5 circuit would also explain the lack of both charging and the foglight failure. Check for battery voltage on the orange wire at the generator. If present, the failures are due to separate instead of a common cause.

Where did you get the wiring diagrams? Are there any here onsite?

Contact todras to get your own service CD unless you want to mess with finding and downloading torrents. Individuals diagrams are often posted by members in order to illustrate specific circuits that are under discussion.

Steve

FIXED.

Relay was good.

Battery voltage was not showing on the Orange Alternator Wire. Just took me a little while to be able to get to that step and get under the car.

Ended up being a broken wire connection post F5 Fog Lamp fuse.

This was a problem I had after it was in the shop for some time having a lot of work done on it (Clutch, Tranny, Control Arms, Water Pump, etc.). So I am not sure how they did it but they manage to give me a horrible problem to figure out.

Thanks for the help gang.

And the wiring diagram I used was from a previous post related to charging issues. The Haynes manual I have is horrible on the charge system wiring diagram.

Bob

Back