• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HELP! I cant put gas in my car!

Newsvt

Veteran CEG'er
So I drove the car just over 700miles with no problem putting gas in. I normally just fill the svt up when it get under a half, well I went to do this the other day and as soon as I started pumping it would shut off. It was like when you fill your tank and when its full the pump shuts off, well I tried 3 differnt pumps and 4 different places and everytime the pump clicks right off! Any ideas? I'm running out of gas help!!

i had a similar prob with a linclon i had...belive it was the vent/ fuel return system...good luck with that...as for now i have alway just put the nozel in so that it just barley opens the little metal "door" in the fuel hose...keeping it as much outside as u can without pour gas on your car...it is a slow PITA process but it has always worked for me:shrug:

Fuel door flapper problem. There WAS a recall on it, but it has since expired. The door is stuck shut, thus the fuel does not flow in to the tank as fast as you are pumping and it activates the nozzle's automatic shut-off.

You can try placing the nozzle in the fuel door, then removing it about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Start pumping as slowly as you can to let fuel trickle through the door and "wash" the door loose and open. slowly increase speed after the first bit, then increase again until you are at 80% speed. This SHOULD help.

You will also experience this problem at certain pumps, and not as much at other stations. Some users tend to report more problems in the heat of the day.

As an alternative, carry a metal clothes hangar and straighten it out. Ram it in the fuel filler neck and use it as a push rod to poke to door flapper open, breaking the jammed/gummed seal it had.

Fuel door flapper problem. There WAS a recall on it, but it has since expired. The door is stuck shut, thus the fuel does not flow in to the tank as fast as you are pumping and it activates the nozzle's automatic shut-off.

You can try placing the nozzle in the fuel door, then removing it about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Start pumping as slowly as you can to let fuel trickle through the door and "wash" the door loose and open. slowly increase speed after the first bit, then increase again until you are at 80% speed. This SHOULD help.

You will also experience this problem at certain pumps, and not as much at other stations. Some users tend to report more problems in the heat of the day.

As an alternative, carry a metal clothes hangar and straighten it out. Ram it in the fuel filler neck and use it as a push rod to poke to door flapper open, breaking the jammed/gummed seal it had.

This is what I have to do everytime, it works fine. I never knew there was a recall on it, bummer.

Its at the bottom of the filler neck, entering the tank itself.

i get no problems during the winter or cold days. once it gets hot out, its awful. took me 15 minutes to fill up thursday :help:

i brought mine in for recall ~2 years ago and Ford said they didnt witness the problem(brought it to them during winter) so they wouldnt fix it.
came back with it a year later with the same problem and they said that the part it needed was one not under recall. and that fixing the part under recall wouldnt help... and now its not under recall anymore

really got d*cked on that one

Never hurts to try but being an early 97 build your prob way out of the timeframe.

Yeah I have the same issue with my car at the moment! The flapper valve is only $6 but my cars purchase date was well over 10 years ago even though I dont have 100,000 miles yet ford wouldnt fix it, so next weekend I'm dropping my tank, If your car was bought within the last 10 years and has under 100,000 ford should fix the problem at no cost to you.

wow such a cheap part but a million in labor cost! That's sucks! Well maybe one time when the car is all ripped up over winter it'll get fixed. Yea it never hurts to try I do know a tech at a dealer but idk how much that would help, as in sure its dealers call if they want to do it or not.

wow such a cheap part but a million in labor cost! That's sucks! Well maybe one time when the car is all ripped up over winter it'll get fixed. Yea it never hurts to try I do know a tech at a dealer but idk how much that would help, as in sure its dealers call if they want to do it or not.

Yeah alldata says a tech should get paid 1.8 hours to change the part, I'll let you know how long it takes me to change it out!

As far as using a clothes-hanger goes, do you just have to push it in there once to un-stick it? and then pump gas regular... doesnt seem like you'd be able to fit it in there while pumping.

also, would it be better to use something less ...metal? how far exactly would you say it has to go in, a foot? im trying to figure out what else i could use for the job but im not sure how long i need. such an annoying problem :nonono:

Last edited:
As far as using a clothes-hanger goes, do you just have to push it in there once to un-stick it? and then pump gas regular... doesnt seem like you'd be able to fit it in there while pumping.

also, would it be better to use something less ...metal? how far exactly would you say it has to go in, a foot? im trying to figure out what else i could use for the job but im not sure how long i need. such an annoing problem :nonono:

This issue does suck! Im interested to know this as well to find the easiest way to fill up!

There was never a recall on this isssue.

It was an Owner Notification Program (01M04) to advise owners that the warranty had been extended to 10 years or 100K miles for the vehicles. Ford sent letters to registered owners at the time.

Steve

Back