• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cleaning Throttle Body NEED a quick HELP!..

iskoos

CEG'er
Tonight I removed the TB from my 4cyl. ZETEC engine intake manifold in an attempt to find some solution to my problem but looks like I won't.
Anyways, my question is that there is a label saying that "Do NOT clean the inner surface of TB" also Haynes manual stresses the same thing.

If I cannot touch the inner surface why did I even remove it?

QUESTION #1 So should I take them seriously and not mess with it or should I ignore the warnings and just go ahead and clean it with a damp cloth?

I am attaching few pictures...
There is some oil sitting at the bottom when looked down thru opening. I smelled it; it is mostly oil but with some gas in it I guess.

QUESTION #2 Should I suck that out while the TB is out?

QUESTION #3 And lastly what is that stuff sticking out down there(3rd picture)?

Attachments

• TB1.JPG
    TB1.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
  • TB2.JPG
    TB2.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • TB3.JPG
    TB3.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
To answer #1, the TB plate is coated with Teflon. The coating is worthless and does almost nothing to prevent buildup, as you can see. Cleaning will strip the coating off, but a damp cloth won't do much. You should get a can of carb cleaner and use it liberally.

Last edited:
I see it. I have a carb cleaner already. Can I use the same for the inner walls of the intake manifold(plastic) as seen in pictures 2 and 3? This may not be necessary but asking because TB is already out and it looks like I am not finishing it tonight.

The teflon coating is on the throttle bore, not the plate. Its purpose was to keep the throttle body clean enough that Ford would not have to pay for cleaning it during warranty. It does help, but it does not eliminate dirt sticking on the throttle body.

Clean it. Try to use a cleaner that is labeled as safe for teflon coated throttle bodies, and try to clean it gently if possible. I like a soft used toothbrush. With a little luck yo won't strip off the teflon, but if you do it isn't a big loss.

When you clean it, pay particular attention to the black ring inside just inside the throttle plate.

Yes they do make spray cans of cleaner labeled specifically for throttle bodies, for what that is worth.

Mike

I only see carbon deposits on the bore under the butterfly valve. Even the butterfly valve is dry and clean.
And the car is 13 years old with 170+k, so I don't think it will be a big lose after this point.

I remember in the early 2000 Ford dealer service wanted to clean the throttle body telling me that built-up carbon deposits my cause a sticking throttle valve and effects performance. They (at the time) asked $200.00 to clean the throttle body. I rejected it. And after 8 years I am looking at it to see it is dirty but definitely not to the level to cause any problems...

Dealerships!.. If you don't know much about cars and tend to believe people easily, it is not the place to be...

So I will look for that special TB cleaner to do the job.

Again, any idea for QUESTION # 3?

I only see carbon deposits on the bore under the butterfly valve. Even the butterfly valve is dry and clean.
And the car is 13 years old with 170+k, so I don't think it will be a big lose after this point.

I remember in the early 2000 Ford dealer service wanted to clean the throttle body telling me that built-up carbon deposits my cause a sticking throttle valve and effects performance. They (at the time) asked $200.00 to clean the throttle body. I rejected it. And after 8 years I am looking at it to see it is dirty but definitely not to the level to cause any problems...

Dealerships!.. If you don't know much about cars and tend to believe people easily, it is not the place to be...

So I will look for that special TB cleaner to do the job.

Again, any idea for QUESTION # 3?
the piece sticking into the manifold is the EGR tube.

i would probably try to suck the oil out of the manifold if you can, but if not it should eventually all get sucked into the engine and burned.

To answer #1, the TB plate is coated with Teflon. The coating is worthless and does almost nothing to prevent buildup, as you can see. Cleaning will strip the coating off, but a damp cloth won't do much. You should get a can of carb cleaner and use it liberally.
Oops. I guess my TB is now nekkid in my Zetec. I took the Dremel w/ a soft abrasive pad and cleaned it. Shines pretty now. I guess I'll just have to check it periodically to make sure nothing builds up.

I just use acetone to clean the body. That coating they tell you about does not help the buildup problem much, I think the message not to clean body is as much about scaring people into thinking they've messed up the part and must buy another new as anything else. I always tip the body in a direction that keeps the solvent from working its' way into the TPS switch, acetone will clean the body lickety split but may melt something inside TPS, don't go there. The part doesn't even have to be really clean, I see all these people worried about all the residue inside manifolds and such. It's just not that important, on engine rebuilds I don't even worry about stuff like that, minor detail. Now if there is buildup of a sort that makes a physical lump or other, that can break loose and go through engine, I would remove that. Same with PCV system, the breather/oil separator and parts don't have to be clean, CLEAN to work right, in fact, when you knock residues loose then you make them much more likely to move around and cause you further troubles. On the throttle body the only area that needs to be good and clean is the immediate area around the CLOSED butterfly. If there is even slight buildup in such a way that it alters the miniscule crack of throttle opening for idle, will mess up things. The PCM is looking for a certain amount of air to leak through that really small opening to establish idle along with the idle solenoid and a slight bit of buildup there can mess with a clean idle.

Back