• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LCA bushings

SaturnLvr

CEG'er
Hello all. I was under my 2000 Contour the other day and noticed the lower control arm bushings are cracked (dry rot or fatigue?) these are the two bolt type. I don't feel any play in them...is there a good way to "test" for play? Also how do you feel about the BAT suspension products (LCA, inner tie rod ends, etc...)?? Thanks

You can test play by taking a pry bar and seeing how much they move around. And most people around here think very highly of BAT parts and service.

watch them as you set the car on the ground. most like in the air the bolts will be centered in the bushing. as you put weight on them they will shift.

this definately works for the 4 bolts arms, should for the 2 bolt too.

you can complete an o'clock test checking for movement.

Last time I was under there, when I noticed the cracks in the bushings, I did the o'clock test and found no play. I will check to see if the bolts are centered, once it stops raining here. My Contour has 175K+ on it and I am not too sure how old the balljoints are ( I bought the car with 104K on it ). I may just replace the LCA complete with bushings and balljoints just to be safe, they are really cheap. How bad is it to replace them?

i just replaced my 4 bolt arms over memorial day weekend and it was not difficult at all. it took me longer to do the drivers side because of cutting the bolts but i would say all in all it took me about 4.5 hours to do both sides. the hardest part was getting the new arm in.

I have the two bolt style LCA. I did some research on here and it looks like you have to jack up one side of the engine/tranny to get to one of the bolts, or cut one of the bolts and replace it upside down. Anybody have any first hand knowledge on this...would I be better off bringing it to a shop to do?

I know for a fact clearance is super tight on driver side of 4 cylinder ATX. Don't know about the six, but they used same ATX, suspect the same problem.

Back