• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Antsy for SZ07?

Hey guys,

About the school thing. Like Goonz said its tough to find out when finals are at this point. But I said I was going so I prob will be going.

One question. We were talking about when us New Englanders leave, we do drive down in a group right?

When do we leave, like how many days before. Maybe we could wokr something out for the NECEGers in school?

Maybe that was more than one question.

We leave that morning very very early. Everyone hits the road at different times but we all meet up around 5 AM in Mass. on I-90. We drive straight through the day stopping only for gas, food and a little rest.

It may be different this year because of the location, but overall, about the same.

We leave that morning very very early. Everyone hits the road at different times but we all meet up around 5 AM in Mass. on I-90. We drive straight through the day stopping only for gas, food and a little rest.

It may be different this year because of the location, but overall, about the same.

yea past SZ I believe Kim and I were almost the furthest. It was great fun and I hope to make it to this one. Depending on finals, I'll see if I can take them early, that would work out the best obv..

thats the idea, only difference is we are going through Canada and can only do 60mph during that time, and you get to deal with bourder guards that don't want to let you back in because they don't like what you said ...

Bah, I did 80mph all the way through toronto

My buddy and I were nailed going 70 in the middle lane with people flying by on both sides. You were lucky, but with a caravan of 4+ cars, luck runs out.

Oh, and radar detectors are illegal and will be confiscated if you are pulled over.

Yeah, it's about a 13+ hour drive, thanks to cutting through Canada.
Mike and I usually hit the road around 2:30 am on Thursday (first day of SZ).
We head down the Mass Pike, pick up some folks along the way, then straight to the NY State Thruway, crossing into Canada near Buffalo, NY (and pick up Billdo too!)

The border crossing is easy. They ask where you're going, so we state the US city that we're headed for, and sometimes even the area where we plan on re-entering the US. They ask a couple other questions like how long we plan on being in Canada and if we plan on stopping. I forget how many hours it takes to cross at the moment, but we usually prep everyone in the caravan with all answers before we hit the border. After a few cars, they understand what's going on, and they pretty much let everyone go with no issue.

Regarding the show and shine, I think it's pretty damn boring if one car wins every single category, regardless of whether their stuff is truly better than the others competing. I was never for the addition of the awards to the show and shine from the get go, but obviously more people wanted it since it's still around. Don't forget, there's always Best of Show too, so if you think your car excels in multiple areas, then most likely you'll get that.

I seem to remeber the drive taking about 4 hours or so

as for the show and shine, your right awards don't really matter but it's nice to be recognized for the time and effort put into the car ... I went for best non-svt since I think that is the best category for my car ...

I'm going to end up bringing the Maxima but at this point there will be a significant amount of trolls there anyway..

Even if you don't want to drive your car, you should still come. There are always available seats in our cars to take you out.
(heh how transparent am I that I want a Cougar copilot?)

Even if you don't want to drive your car, you should still come. There are always available seats in our cars to take you out.
(heh how transparent am I that I want a Cougar copilot?)

it might be good to have an extra person that could drive if someone is to tired to ...

it might be good to have an extra person that could drive if someone is to tired to ...

I might be coming alone, we'll have to see what happens in the next few months. I really don't mind driving alone, but its better with someone else. Also better if you go in a group and a lot more fun.

Maybe we'll see another Lambo...

also don't forget to contact your insurance agency and request insurance cards for canada for your vehicle for the time of the trip ...

Huh? Never heard of that.

yeah appearently the insurance card you have isn't good in canada or something like that, you just get a temp one issued from your insurance company, manchvegassvt let us know about that one in 04 since he worked far a rental car company iirc ...

I dont have any insurance cards, Liberty Mutual never provided me with any..When I had state farm, they gave me cards..

I drove alone, it sucked on the way back and on the way there towards the end, Tony and I were like DEAD tired..cool experience none the less

Commerce doesn't give me a card either - their website claims that your registration is your proof of insurance. One of my friends from New Jersey looked at me funny when I told him .. and till that point I hadn't heard of insurance cards myself. They do make sense though, I really wish it was required in MA.

Sorry Kim - I'm definitely driving alone, hehe. But unless circumstances change, it's just not going to be in an SVT as I had wanted.

I was granted Thursday through Tuesday off of work! w00t! (Does anybody recommend I take more days off to prepare and/or recuperate?)

def. a day before and after just cause you dont understand how tired you will be after the drive back!! And the day before you prep your car like wash/wax to keep your car clean for the elements on the road..but the days you got are ok, I would take wednesday off because we technically leave wednesday night iirc..so you do need the whole day to prep the car and sleep.

I remember Tony and I didnt even sleep that night cause we were working on our cars till the very last minute..lol good times. I was glad we all got there and back safely..well besides tony and elky LOL

Back