• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone willing to take on 3L swap near GTA?

SVTED

Veteran CEG'er
Okay I've been trying to get this done for months now.

I've been in contact with 96BlackSe. I was going to do it with him but I'm having trouble finding a tow truck to take it there without raping me with a bill of over a grand.

So, anyone else up for it that's in the GTA/close to the GTA?

What about renting a trailor and pick up truck? I ended up just getting a friend to trailor mine to Ottawa.

Aaron

oh 96BlackSe just messaged me and he offered to rent a truck himself and come tow it back to his place for like $500-600 or something.

I'm just looking at rental company websites myself right now.

Enterprise's full size pick ups are $60 a day + unlimited kilometers.
Uhaul's tow dolly is $40 a day.

I'll probably be renting it on a friday, driving to Ottawa, and then coming back the next morning or so.

Does anyone know if I can rent a truck, hook up a tow dolly with the SVT, and then just go? Without any extensive wiring jobs or anything?

oh 96BlackSe just messaged me and he offered to rent a truck himself and come tow it back to his place for like $500-600 or something.

I'm just looking at rental company websites myself right now.

Enterprise's full size pick ups are $60 a day + unlimited kilometers.
Uhaul's tow dolly is $40 a day.

I'll probably be renting it on a friday, driving to Ottawa, and then coming back the next morning or so.

Does anyone know if I can rent a truck, hook up a tow dolly with the SVT, and then just go? Without any extensive wiring jobs or anything?

Ask Nima as he has had to do that a few times :). When you taking the car to Ottawa?

Aaron

You need a to rent a truck with a class 3 hitch capable of towing 6000lbs
From my experience in Ottawa, Enterprise doesn't have anything with the hitches on it. Just a note don't tell the rental car company that you are going to tow anything because they will just flip!!
You need to make sure the truck has the hitch and check on uhauls website that its a recommended towing vehicle for.
Also don't get the tow dolly, just get the auto transport from Uhaul and don't get it two way as it will kill the gas milege even when you go back with it empty. I think the auto transport thing itself weighs around 2000 lbs so with the car you are going to be towing ~5000lbs
BTW you are looking at $200-250 in gas, the damn truck goes through the gas like nothing when its towing :(

hmm I think I need to decide what to do within this week. So I'll let you know.

Oh and any plans on how you're gonna get the SVT onto whatever?

If you get the auto transport you can use 2x6's to get the car up on the trailer. I do it all the time with the Mustang. Just make sure you support them all the way down or you will snap them like twigs.

The auto transport has ramps which come out, you just need a couple people to push the car onto it.
Just make sure you strap it down tight, put the ebrake up and leave in gear.

Back