• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why does it DO that?

alien_yet_familiar

Hard-core CEG'er
Just wondering if anyone has any information on the funkiness of the temperature gauge. Both my current and previous SVT had the same symptom - not really a problem, just something I don't really understand.

When driving in the winter (-20 to +30) my temperature gauge will read straight up - perfectly centered between the the R and M on "NORMAL". However, in the summer when it's warmer (today around 75) the needle will read below the N.

I'm pretty sure that the temperature sensor is working because the needle will move higher in slower traffic, but once I get out on the highway it will drop back down. I don't have any engine problems at all, I just wondered if anyone has any reason for this.

Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the funkiness of the temperature gauge. Both my current and previous SVT had the same symptom - not really a problem, just something I don't really understand.

When driving in the winter (-20 to +30) my temperature gauge will read straight up - perfectly centered between the the R and M on "NORMAL". However, in the summer when it's warmer (today around 75) the needle will read below the N.

I'm pretty sure that the temperature sensor is working because the needle will move higher in slower traffic, but once I get out on the highway it will drop back down. I don't have any engine problems at all, I just wondered if anyone has any reason for this.

Thanks!

am not sure why ppl bothered with the lettering on the temp guages. how about its closer to cold or hot?:shrug: anyways, my car's in the garage, a few buildings away right now. so u'd have to help me out here. what does R & M stand for? In other words, is cold R and hot M? and whats N? Normal?

am Not Sure Why Ppl Bothered With The Lettering On The Temp Guages. How About Its Closer To Cold Or Hot?:shrug: Anyways, My Car's In The Garage, A Few Buildings Away Right Now. So U'd Have To Help Me Out Here. What Does R & M Stand For? In Other Words, Is Cold R And Hot M? And Whats N?

Woww. "normal"

Yes my '95 Mystique doesn something like that, it's been on the first part of the N for a couple months now.

A moderator here pointed out that it is not really a continuous guage, like a voltmeter for example. It just gets two or three separate signals no matter what the temp, resulting in just two or three positions as you pointed out.

That doesn't answer your warmer in winter question, though.

Mike

i get that. diff svts have diff normal spots. some read right at half, while some read below, and yet some a bit after the middle. i just wanna make sure i get her question

:confused:

I do not know about your car, but on most Contours the temperature gauge reads the word "NORMAL" across it... The OP is saying that the gauge stays bewteen the R&M, so that means the needle is straight up, dead center between cold and hot...

The temp "guage" is really just a graphical idiot light. The sweep of the guage doesn't really correllate very accurately to a particular temperature range. Generally, anywhere in the middle is fine, though if it moves over to the "L", its probably running a bit warm.

i dont have normal or anything. just a line and a "red-line" area on the far right side of it indicating hot hot hot...

i dont have normal or anything. just a line and a "red-line" area on the far right side of it indicating hot hot hot...

Because your car is a 98.5, not 98.

To end this "NORMAL" confusion. 95-98 gauges all said NORMAL across the temp gauge. 98.5-00 did not say anything. This applies to all models, not just SVT.

Thanks!

Have you been running the A/C? One of the radiator fans will kick on with the A/C which will make the motor run a little cooler.

now that we got this little bump straightened out, on to your question. somthing like that happened to me b4. not exactly tho. my problem turned out to be a stuck open thermostat. whenever it was cold, the needle stayed at cold or should i say "N":). however, when it warmed up or in traffic, it lingered at just b4 hot or "L". only the first part is the same symptoms as mine, but a new thermostat solved it.

Yes, the fan(s) run at low speed, on milder day with A/C, engine runs cooler. My Mystique does that.

I thought at first it was just when I was running the AC but yesterday it was a cloudy 70 and I just had the vent fan on, and it barely even registered into the warm range - didn't even touch the N in NORMAL.

I know that it's not a specific temperature indicator, but am confused as to the major difference between winter and summer driving. I drive the same roads, the same speed (weather permitting in winter) both seasons. The indicator varies so much! And my previous SVT did the same thing, so I know it's not just my current car.

PS: Sorry for the confusion about the gauge - I knew that newer cars didn't have the word but didn't think to clarify. Sorry! :eek:

Because your car is a 98.5, not 98.

To end this "NORMAL" confusion. 95-98 gauges all said NORMAL across the temp gauge. 98.5-00 did not say anything. This applies to all models, not just SVT.

my 99 did say normal, and always read straight up and down...maybe a little more towards the "R"

Just to ask, once your car is "warmed up," how hot is your heat?

It's like every other Ford I've ever driven in that it's very very effective. I am comfortable without a coat on the coldest car trip days. There's no hot smell, though. I've never stuck a thermometer in front of the vent when it's blowing but I'd guess around 110 degrees or so. If that's way off normal it's because it's just a guess.

It's like every other Ford I've ever driven in that it's very very effective. I am comfortable without a coat on the coldest car trip days. There's no hot smell, though. I've never stuck a thermometer in front of the vent when it's blowing but I'd guess around 110 degrees or so. If that's way off normal it's because it's just a guess.

Hmm, maybe your coolant temperature sender has gone bad? That would be the one which sends the signal to the cluster gauge, NOT the one which sends a signal to the PCM... I own a Zetec though so I have no idea where it is on the Duratec...

I was also thinking that your thermostat is stuck open, but then you would not have any heat until the needle reads straight up...

Back