• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bondo question

millertime86

CEG'er
im going to fix a crack in my front bumper and repaint it. and there is 3 types of bondo and im not sure which one to get, there is Bondo-firbeglass resin jelly, Bondo-hair and Bondo-glass. first my friend said to go with the bondo- fibreglass resin jelly, but i read and it seemed more like a filler. then i suggested the bondo-hair and he said, "oh yeah youre right, thats the right one." I think thats the one i need but i wanted to make sure before i bought it.

im starting to think twice about letting him help me, i thought he knew what he was doing haha.

so which is it, Bondo-firbeglass resin jelly, Bondo-hair or Bondo-glass?

Im all over this, as I am the self proclaimed "Bondo" King.

No, but really. None of these for starters, kinda. First, try to find a body filler that is "flexible", there are all types of brand out there. They act great for fixing cracks, holes, deep scratches and because they have a flex agent added to them they flex with the bumper.

Bondo is alright to use if you "have to". Its just so ridget, and has no flex to it at all. So when your bumper flex's, which is does all the time, especially when its hot out, the bodo doesnt. This can cause cracking in the bodo.

Unless you have an aftermarket bumper which is made of fiberglass, then bondo the hell out of it. :laugh:

Keith

Im all over this, as I am the self proclaimed "Bondo" King.

No, but really. None of these for starters, kinda. First, try to find a body filler that is "flexible", there are all types of brand out there. They act great for fixing cracks, holes, deep scratches and because they have a flex agent added to them they flex with the bumper.

Bondo is alright to use if you "have to". Its just so ridget, and has no flex to it at all. So when your bumper flex's, which is does all the time, especially when its hot out, the bodo doesnt. This can cause cracking in the bodo.

Unless you have an aftermarket bumper which is made of fiberglass, then bondo the hell out of it. :laugh:

Keith
oh i thought my svt's bumber WAS made of fiberglass???

you sure a filler is the best thing to use to mend 2 peices together? keep in mine the crack is all the way through the bottom of my bumper.

what are some examples of body filler brands that are flexible?

Ya no the svt bumper is still plastic. But as a body tech. bondo isnt greatly used for cracks becaus it will crack again the first time something pushes it.. they do have fillers you can use that are more plastic based as a two part mix that pretty much melts to the bumper... Use this to seam it up then a light skim coat of Bondo resin gel... (doesnt have fiber in it, but is stronger than reg bondo) for the finish this way the actual crack is gone and has stebility to not let the resin crack again... most body shops if you take the bumper off and bring to them its about 100 bucks to fix depending on size.. its worth it...

..... My 2₵ :laugh:....

Back